Image: UNE Music’s Dr Alana Blackburn and Executive Director of the Coffs Harbour Regional Conservatorium, Patrick Brearley, at the launch of the music education partnership.  

A new partnership between UNE Music and the Coffs Harbour Regional Conservatorium is helping support the thriving music scene on the NSW North Coast.

The partnership, which began in 2022, is the fifth between UNE Music and music conservatoria around the state, enabling students to stay in their community to learn from and play with local musicians, while also completing a music degree online through UNE.

UNE Music’s Dr Alana Blackburn says the Bachelor of Music covers a number of genres and styles, which she says is a good fit for the NSW North Coast area.

“We have a few students on the North Coast and there is quite a lively music scene there,” she says. 

“This way, we’re able to provide a high-quality tertiary music education alongside developing practical skill. Students develop core skills in musicology, music theory, technology and creative practice online alongside their vocal or instrumental lessons through the conservatorium.”

We’re quickly seeing a growing appetite for students to begin undergraduate studies through this partnership as it gives them the valuable opportunity to study at a higher level without needing to leave the area.

Executive Director of the Coffs Harbour Regional Conservatorium, Patrick Brearley, says it’s a great way to support local talent.

“The Coffs Coast music scene is filled to the brim with exciting, talented students who are creating pathways and opportunities for themselves across the region.

“We’re quickly seeing a growing appetite for students to begin undergraduate studies through this partnership as it gives them the valuable opportunity to study at a higher level without needing to leave the area.”

Mitch Burgess is a local musician studying with UNE and at the Coffs Harbour Conservatorium to further his knowledge, and foster his love for blues and jazz music. He says while studying online can have its challenges, he has enjoyed the support he’s had through the program.

“I chose this degree to add knowledge and progression to my art while also giving me a credential to refer to when looking for work in the area,” he says.

“I carry out all practical lessons at the Coffs Harbour Regional Conservatorium taught by amazing Jazz guitar player and teacher, Glen Hodges.

“Being taught by Glen has been the most immersive and memorable experience. I am often challenged with the tougher aspects of learning online, however the lecturers are always there to help. When I need to email them, they always take the time to help out.”

While he has played guitar from a young age and makes a living from it, Mitch says he has learnt a lot from his degree.

I’m excited to see how this [partnership] will have a positive flow-on effect long into the future for the region, further developing the Coffs Coast into a thriving regional cultural hub.

“I have learnt to teach better, play better, learn better and become better organised, all through the many feelings of stress and excitement that come from studying something I’m passionate about!” Mitch says. 

“I have also been lucky enough to work through a collaborative song writing unit that connected me to fellow student Sally Jefferys and gave us the opportunity to write a collection of songs.”

Having just released an EP called ‘Trio’, he thinks his study experience will also help him reach his future goals.

“’I’d love to begin teaching more students of intermediate and advanced levels while also playing larger performances with my blues band. I would also love to push my jazz playing to higher levels that might let me play music with Jazz ensembles and big bands.”

Coffs Coast musician Mitch Burgess performing his music on sage with a guitar and microphone

Coffs Coast musician Mitch Burgess has undertaken studies with UNE Music and the Coffs Harbour Regional Conservatorium

Patrick says he looks forward to seeing the outcomes of the partnership for the region as it grows.

“With the high calibre staff at the conservatorium involved in this partnership, I can see it developing into a fantastic pathway education opportunity for many students in the future,” he says.

“I’m excited to see how this will have a positive flow-on effect long into the future for the region, providing students with employment and performance opportunities and in turn, further developing the Coffs Coast into a thriving regional cultural hub.”