Dreaming can be a safe, useful psychedelic experience

by | Dec 14, 2022 | Positive psychology, Well-Being | 0 comments

Psychedelic drugs are the subject of much talk and research now because there is evidence that for some people they can have positive effects on mental health.  These are drugs that alter one’s consciousness from its usual state. Drugs that can do this include LSD, ketamine, peyote, and magic mushrooms. 

Drugs, however, carry risks, particularly if obtained from drug dealers, who may not have the health of users as their top goal.

Another way to have psychedelic experiences is to dream during sleep. I remember my dreams some mornings. Mostly the dreams are too ordinary to be called psychedelic. 

Last night was different. 

I dreamed that aliens had taken over the earth and were confining humans. I myself was in prisoner clothes in a huge auditorium with many other prisoners. Then the women were taken away. I sat with many other men in booths (!) at one end of the auditorium. Human (or human-looking) guards moved about. I noticed that most guards looked unarmed, but one had a large handgun. I thought all of us prisoners were being taken to be exterminated. 

I whispered to the man across from me: Will we go meekly to our deaths like the Jews [in WW II]? He shook his head no. I said to him: “Then in two minutes let’s jump the guards. Pass it on {I motioned in the direction of the guy behind him]. He passed on the idea. I then wondered how we would jump the guards. I cursed myself for not having anything I could use as a weapon. 

I came up with a plan to fall onto the floor as if I had fainted. When a guard came, I would grab him, and the revolt would start. I did not anticipate a good outcome. 

Then I looked around and saw that the guards were all gone. I stood and shouted: “The guards have left. They are going to poison [gas] us or blow up the building. We have to get out!”

I ran to the nearest door, which was some distance away. It was locked, as I expected. I ran to the next door, and, to my surprise, I was able to push it open. I started to run outside and then thought: I don’t want to be conspicuous. So I walked briskly away. I felt happy to be free again, even if it might be for only a few moments. I wondered whether there were snipers on the roof of the auditorium and glanced back as I walked. I did not see anyone on top. I wondered what the other prisoners were doing.

Ahead I saw several people standing at what looked like a bus stop. I headed toward them with the thought that I needed to jump a guard and get clothes to replace my prisoner clothes.

Then I woke up. 

I felt happy about my role as a rebellion leader in the dream. I would like to think of myself as someone who would fight to the end. Also, I felt a sense of relief that my real life is not as harrowing as the situation in the dream.  

The dream gave me a deeper sense of the importance of freedom from oppression. It also gave me extra appreciation of my luck in living a free life in Australia. 

How did my dream measure up to a drug-induced trip? I don’t know, but I am satisfied with my dream. 

I hope you have dreams that leave you feeling bouyed. 

Photo by Alexander Grey on Unsplash