Interesting Religious Denominations

by | Jun 9, 2020 | Social psychology, Well-Being | 0 comments

I recently watched a miniseries called Orthodox. It is a partly true story about a modern-day girl who flees from her Hasidic Jew life in New York. I was captivated by the hats that Hasidic men wear — high, cylindric mink hats. Also, the men have thin strands of hair that fall way down in front of each ear. 

The women, once they marry, never show their real hair again in public. They wear wigs, often over a shaved head, or they wear hats that cover every hair on their head.

I checked to see whether these parts of the series were accurate. Yep. 

I have long had an interest in the different forms that religions take. My interest started when I was a child reading about the Greek and Roman gods. It never occurred to me back then that real people once believed strongly in Zeus and Athena, Mars and Cupid. I would not be surprised if a few modern Greeks and Romans still make offerings to those gods.

Growing up, I mostly learned about my own religion, Roman Catholicism. Like most children, I inherited my religion from my parents. I became an altar boy — I rang the church bell and I said prayers aloud in Latin during mass. I felt important. I liked the black-and-white cassock I wore; I never understood the prayers I spoke in Latin.

Much later I stumbled into reading about other religions, starting with the ones that most fascinated me. The Old Order Amish, with their horse-drawn wagons, try to live as their people did 200 years ago. Hasidic Jews try to accomplish something similar ​with their remarkable hats and so on.

The more unusual the religion to me, the more interesting I found it. In law school I had a classmate who was a Christian Scientist. He told me that the religion believes in healing only by faith — no medical treatment, no vitamins, no vaccinations.

Much later I met a nice family of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Their most surprising belief: A person must not accept a blood transfusion from another.  

Don’t start me talking about Scientology. I would go on and on. 

I have only begun to explore the varieties of religious beliefs and customs. You can join me in learning about world religions, past and present. As Hamlet said: “There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”