Celebrity worship — why do people do it?

by | Sep 7, 2013 | Uncategorized | 2 comments

I gave an interview to a journalist this week about why people worship celebrities. I said that, from a psychological point of view, humans worship specific celebrities for the same reason they worship or idolize certain gods, their own nation, and specific sports teams: They want to be part of something important, special, powerful, or exciting. Some individuals actually become celebrities, but that is not common — it is a long road to the top if you want to rock and roll! It is much easier for a person to identify with a specific celebrity and go along for the ride, sharing the joy and excitement of the person’s life. The ride can have low points though, as when Princess Diana died.

The journalist also asked me when celebrity worship turns into a problem. I said it can create problems if individuals lose touch with reality, as in erotomania, in which individuals have a delusional belief that a specific celebrity is in love with them. Celebrity worship can also be a problem if  individuals focus so much on a celebrity that they fail to do what they can to move their own life ahead.  However, those problems are rare. Celebrity worship and milder forms of interest in celebrities usually are benign.

Which celebrities do I follow very closely? None, but I do like reading biographies of highly successful and entertaining individuals like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jerry Seinfeld, and Richard Branson.  I also follow certain sports teams, and there the identification is more complete in that I root for the teams to win while following their fortunes. I have not gone so far as to buy team-related clothing, but who knows what the future holds if my teams keep winning?

Which celebrities and teams do you follow very closely? What do you get out of your role as a fan?

John Malouff, PhD, JD, Assoc Prof of Psychology

1. Hi John,
    I’m currently developing a list of questions (for a radio segment) to ask three people I know pretty well, who are all multiple world champions in their given discipline. I’m interested in “what it’s like to be them” but now I will ask them about their “celebrity status” and their “fans”. I’m sure they will respond with bemusement, as they are only a celebrity in their specialised domain. I’m thinking if I replay their answers, you wouldn’t be able to tell the athlete from the street performer from the guy who does something all kids do. But to answer your question, my wife wants to make a bumper sticker “Say no to celebrities” – perhaps this reflects us still having teenage daughters … but I must admit to watching Dr Drew, and Oprah’s recent celebrity interviews … and following the Tour de France and the Dakar rally each year, looking for my favourites to back up … and I have always followed Paul Watson’s exploits and buy Sea Shepherd gear, though I’m drawing the line at an apron!!

2. Hi MS. I would like to be a celebrity whom ordinary people don’t recognize on the street and papapazzi don’t follow. Is that too much to ask? Your world champions in specialized domains may have exactly this status.