Want to be very successful?

by | Jun 16, 2013 | Uncategorized | 2 comments

By design or by chance, I have read four books this year about hugely successful individuals: Arnold Schwarzenegger (‘Total Recall”) Steve Jobs (‘Steve Jobs”), Richard Branson (“Losing My Virginity”), and Valerie Browning (“Maalika”). You’ve likely heard of Arnold, Steve, and Richard — they all became rich and famous, with memorable products that will long be associated with them (The Terminator, Apple Computers, and Virgin Music/Airlines/etc.). Valerie, an Aussie nurse, never achieved as much fame as she spent her adult life helping poor, desperate people in the Horn of Africa. I consider her hugely successful because she helped save many, many lives. The three fellows also have saved many lives through charitable work.

As I finished the last of the books, I started thinking of commonalities in the road to success for these four individuals. I identified eight factors:

1. They were very goal oriented. Driven might be the best description.

2. They had great self-confidence, which increased with each success.

3. They put tremendous energy into their work.

4. They were determined and persistent, even though they failed sometimes and many individuals doubted them.

5. They generally thought big, going for huge accomplishments at every opportunity.

6. They took chances, often big ones, but always while trying to minimize the risks.

7. They often found highly valuable individuals to help them. Sometimes these others were geniuses like Steve Wozniak; sometimes they were the right person (e.g., a supportive spouse) at the right time. No one succeeds at much alone.

8. Operating with little formal education, they learned by doing, by talking with others and asking questions, by reading, and by observing others.

Two of these factors send a message to me. First, it is important to think big. I do that sometimes, but I often focus on achieving small, easier goals. Second, it is important to do things, especially new things, and talk with others. With that thought in mind, I hope to get around Australia more this year and get around the world more this coming year.

How about you? Do the eight items mentioned above suggest anything extra you might do to become hugely successful in whatever realm of life matters most to you? What might you do differently in the coming few months?

John Malouff, PhD, JD
Assoc Prof of Psychology

2 Comments

1. Very inspiring and definitely worth remembering. I think most of us are far too conservative when it comes to setting goals!!
    cheers Sallie Psyc102

2. Hi Sallie. Yes, setting goals helps us make progress.

Submit a Comment