Completing his Bachelor of Law degree by distance education with UNE has afforded Benjamin Dunn all kinds of career opportunities. For starters, he was able to work full-time as a legal associate within a multinational medical company throughout his studies, rising through the ranks to assume increasingly more senior Asia-Pacific management positions.

By the time he graduated, in 2014, Benjamin had joined one of the world’s largest privately owned medical devices companies, Medline Australia and he has since risen to the position of Director, Legal and Human Resources.

Benjamin is also a member of the senior management team, company secretary and is the ethics and compliance leader for the Asia-Pacific region.

Clearly, his employers, like his fellow students, have recognised Benjamin’s business and legal acumen, strategic mindset, and extraordinary work ethic.

At Medline, Benjamin has sought to apply the principles of simplification and plain speak he learnt at UNE in both his approach and the processes he has introduced.

He has transformed the legal department into a more collaborative and proactive team, and championed corporate social responsibility within human resources, forging an inclusive and engaging company culture.

In 2013 and again in 2014 Benjamin received Medline’s highest honour – the Recognition for Outstanding Service Award.

Outside work, Benjamin is a devoted husband and father of three boys. He and his wife Karen work tirelessly to support the special needs of one of their sons, who has autism spectrum disorder, and to raise awareness of autism within the broader community.

This year they were finalists for Aspect’s Parent Carer of the Year Award.

All the while, Benjamin has sought to maintain ties with UNE and has recently been in discussion about developing an intern program for students or alumni wanting experience with a multinational company.

“UNE taught me that the effort I put in is directly linked to what I achieve,” Benjamin said.

“I still remember one UNE podcast about the importance of professionalism; that as lawyers we have an obligation to work diligently for our clients and to exercise our best efforts in the legal services we provide.

“Often when I am reviewing a legal matter or handling a grievance, I will reflect on that podcast. I like to think that the success I have achieved is directly linked to important lessons learned at UNE, and more specifically that one podcast. “