Positive Reinforcement and Facebook

by | Aug 6, 2024 | Human Thinking and Behavior, Reinforcement, Social media | 0 comments

When you like something or watch a video on Facebook, Facebook sends you more of the same type of content. I get many clips of comedians and photos of natural wonders. I never see cats.

In essence, Facebook is reinforcing my being on the site by sending me content of the sort I have enjoyed in the past. Reinforcement is a powerful behavioral principle — it motivates much behavior –, so I spend a considerable amount of time on Facebook. That time I spend on the site helps Facebook charge money for ads. In essence, I reinforce Facebook for showing me what I like. 

The reinforcement goes in both directions — from Facebook to me and from me to Facebook. 

Reciprocal reinforcement is common in friendships. You might say that Facebook and I are friends.

The danger comes in if I become addicted to Facebook and start to neglect other, important aspects of my life, such as getting exercise and interacting with human friends. 

Other social media can have similar potential for reciprocal reinforcement and addiction. Social media can also cause harm if people use it to compare themselves negatively to others. I don’t engage in comparisons, but some people do. 

Does social media engagement add to or take away from your enjoyment of life?

Photo by Sara Kurfeß on Unsplash

0 Comments

Submit a Comment