Situations Can Have Powerful Effects

by | Nov 23, 2018 | Human Thinking and Behavior, Social psychology | 0 comments

I just read a book (Member of the Family) about a girl, Dianne Lake, who joined the Charles Manson “family” when she was 14 years old. Manson became famous decades ago as the leader of a cult that slaughtered several innocent individuals in Los Angeles. Manson, a bit crazed, hoped the crimes would trigger a race war. 

Once in the family, Dianne used marijuana and LSD often and had sex with many men and women, sometimes in trade for housing or supplies for the family. She stole, ate out of grocery-story garbage bins, and committed perjury before a grand jury to try to prevent prosecution of Manson. 

Then, with Manson in jail, Dianne went into a mental hospital for several months, followed by two years in good foster care. She testified honestly at Manson’s trial and was never charged with a crime. She later married a good man, raised three children with him, became a teacher of autistic children, and wrote a fascinating book about her life. 

The transformation of Dianne from criminal, drug user, sexual object, and cult member to responsible member of society struck me as remarkable. Until I thought about how much situations affect our behaviour. What 14-year-old would do well while living as a member of the Manson family?

I will give you another example of situational influences. I once worked with an academic who was an excellent teacher and administrator. Then he started drinking heavily and never stopped. The university tried to help him; I tried to help him. Nothing worked. After he failed to show up to give a final exam, the university fired him, and I lost contact with him. 

Before the firing, as I tried to help my colleague, I learned that he had developed a drinking problem when he was young. To get away from alcohol, he had joined an alcohol-free monastery. He spent several years in the monastery without drinking. He then left, finished his education, and got married. Just before I started work with him, his marriage fell apart and he returned to drinking.  Looking back on the experience, I hope that he returned to the monastery. That seems to have been the best situation for him.

I have lived in many situations that brought out the best or the worst in me. I did not fare well emotionally when another employee persistently tried to ruin me. I also did not enjoy the struggles involved in working as a trial attorney. Some individuals love that kind of work though — think of Stormy Daniel’s lawyer, Michael Avenatti. The same situation can have different effects on different people.

I never have lived in a truly awful situation. I served as an altar boy, but I was never molested by a priest. When I decided to migrate to Australia, I was not locked up on an island. I have been fortunate.

To some extent we choose our situations – our jobs, our home city, and so on.  Thank goodness for that. Situations can be powerful. 

How does your current situation affect you? 

[photo from crimemuseum.org]

0 Comments

Submit a Comment