How Curious Are You?

by | Nov 19, 2018 | Human Thinking and Behavior, Positive psychology | 0 comments

I have been reading about a man who lived 500 years ago. He had three characteristics that made his life challenging: He was an illegitimate child, he was left-handed, and he was gay. As a young adult he applied for a position with a duke and listed ten things he could do. Then he added that he also could paint. Yes, he could. He later created the two most famous paintings and the most famous drawing in history. 

You are on to me now. I am describing the person who painted the Mona Lisa and the Last Supper and drew the Vitruvian Man.

I admire Leonardo da Vinci not because of his art work but because he helped trigger the Renaissance with his approach to work and life. He was curious about almost everything. He asked himself and others question after question: Why is the sky blue? How does one square a circle? How can humans fly? How can a painter show emotion in three dimensions when painting in two?

Helping to lay a foundation for science and modern life, Leonardo systematically collected data in his efforts to answer his questions and thoughtfully analysed what he found. He wrote about the laws of motion 200 years before Newton did. He determined how heart valves close 450 years before scientists realised he was right.

Curiosity is a cardinal characteristic of productive innovators, inventors, and scientists. Einstein wondered about space and time. Edison wondered how to make a long-lasting lightbulb. Darwin was curious about how different species develop. 

Lately, I have wondered whether the sex robots of the not-so-distant future will have mostly positive or mostly negative effects on humankind. I have also wondered why IQ scores have been dropping in many highly developed countries.  I doubt that I will find answers to these questions, but I am sure that asking questions like these is a good idea.

Studies have shown that curiosity can be a strong motivator of action. It certainly was for Leonardo. He dissected many cadavers and continually experimented with painting methods. We know that curiosity is associated with high levels of creativity, academic performance, and happiness. 

We humans vary in how curious we are. Some individuals accept almost everything at face value. Others continually question life. 

People who feel curious differ in where they direct their curiosity. How about you — what are you curious about? 

[Photo by Tachina Lee on Unsplash]

0 Comments

Submit a Comment