Exercise-induced orgasms?

by | Aug 19, 2014 | Uncategorized | 1 comment

I just read about a study of 124 women who reported having experienced exercise-induced orgasms (EIOs). These orgasms occur with no help from fantasies or sexual self-stimulation.

My first thought about EIOs was that there must be an Old MacDonald somewhere in the story. My second thought was “EIOs — no way.” But see info about the study at http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/21547.html#2.

I found interesting that ab exercises were the most common type involved in EIOs, especially if done in the “Captain’s chair.” I have used that equipment — individuals let their bodies hang down as they rest their forearms on elevated pads. This setup allows individuals to raise their legs up again and again to exercise their abs. I always have liked this exercise, but these women might like it even more.

There appears to be no sure explanation for why these orgasms occur. My guess: the brain misinterprets exercise-induced arousal and body sensations. Brains make worse mistakes, I assure you.

Unclear is whether men ever experience EIOs. I am the sort of scientist who might study something like that, but I will leave this question for others to answer.

I always end my postings with a question. I will phrase this one carefully: Have any of your friends ever had an EIO? Was it a positive or negative experience?

John Malouff, PhD, JD, Assoc Prof of Psychology

1 Comment

1. Stretching, the next day, as you wake-up, can feel really good, but not necessarily sexual. You can feel the blood rushing up your spine and to your head, and it feels like really good circulation, and you can hear your eustacian tubes open in your ears.