Dr Joe Fraser, UNE’s incoming Pro Vice-Chancellor – Indigenous, provides some thoughts on the role.

What interests you in the role of PVC-Indigenous at UNE?

I am very excited about the opportunity to contribute to the strategic direction of UNE and support a regional focus aligned to Future Fit. Being able to incorporate Indigenous education priorities to the strategic plan is a challenge I look forward to. The national Indigenous education agenda is also of interest to me and working with the broader education community is something I value.

What do you feel you bring to the role?

I have extensive experience in Indigenous education and strategic planning, particularly around accreditation of organisations. I also have experience in developing the capacity of people to share responsibility and develop career paths so they can grow in ways that are self-determined. Hopefully these experience and skills will be useful.

How would you describe your management style?

The workplace means different things to different people, so I like to manage according to needs where possible. ‘Participative’ is how I describe my style, and I believe we should all share a common understanding of what the organisation is trying to achieve. I feel we need to have shared goals, so we are all working towards the same end-state. It is important to balance the focus across the three areas of team, individuals, and tasks. As such, I like to involve people in workplace learning and let folks develop their style. In the past I have used the concept of an organisational lens or frame to understand the leadership required in the workplace and tailor actions to the organisational frame.

What are your top three priorities after assuming the role?

Relationship building, academic achievement, and planning will be the areas of importance initially. A whole of University approach to the portfolio will mean building relationship within the University, and community relationships in the region will also be essential. Some of the portfolio strategies are due for renewal so addressing those needs is important in terms of timelines.

What are your favourite things to do when you are away from the office?

I love art so painting and enjoying others work is good down time for me. I also love to fish so I would like to get back into that. I have also been developing skills for producing cultural artifacts so hopefully I can continue with that learning.