A recent testimonial comes from Dr Alina Kozlovski, UNE’s Lecturer in Digital Innovation (Ancient History and Archaeology) about the benefits of creating easily accessible 3D models of artifacts/specimens/learning objects. The ease of access, allows the acceleration of conversations concerning cross-institutional comparisons.

“I just did a seminar paper at ANU last week on a story of ancient Roman copies and I brought
some of the institution’s 3D printed artifacts and some printed out QR codes that displayed to UNE’s Pedestal3D models of them.
They got passed around to the audience as I was talking to enhance their experience.

I discovered that ANU have a Campanian bowl with the same Palmette/star design in the Tondo that our own Kylix has.
This was discovered alongside an Alabaster Serapis that’s very similar to ours
has so it was useful to have the models on pedestal to show them our objects and compare.
So in the absence of an online collections catalogue, Pedestal is useful for finding comparisons to our objects.”

– Alina Kozlovski

The ANU example can be seen at this link. 

Thank you to Alina for sharing, and if you think this is an instance you’d like to see yourself in the future, contact learningmedia@une.edu.au