Dr Jennifer Williams, the incoming Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Health, provides some thoughts on the role.

What interests you in the role of Dean of UNE’s Medicine & Health faculty?

The M&H faculty presents some giant opportunities for interprofessional education and cutting edge technology-enhanced learning across broad geographical areas through NEViHN. Being in a position to exert a positive influence on the education of future health professionals and subsequently on the experiences and outcomes of their future patients is critically important to me, especially in the context of regional Australia where opportunities for students and outcomes for patients can be inferior to those of our metropolitan counterparts.

What do you feel you bring to the role?

In clinical and academic life I love bringing together diverse high performing teams to get the best out of each individual and the team as a whole. I bring an ethos of excellence, strategic thinking, interconnectedness and good humour. Importantly, as a working clinician I also bring a deep and current understanding of health care in regional Australia.

How would you describe your management style?

Inclusive and collaborative, results-driven and focussed on getting everyone working at the top of their licence.
What are your top three priorities after assuming the role?
1. Get to know who’s who and how things work at UNE
2. Figure out how to add value
3. Promote a culture of innovation, creativity, quality and teamwork through which to deliver on our strategic goals

What are your favourite things to do when you are away from the office?

Well before COVID, travel was definitely the top of the list. I also enjoy keeping fit and active – both physically and mentally. So I love a range of activities including cycling and running (I’m a sucker for a Strava reward), tennis, piano, board games, puzzles, reading and learning other languages.