Dr Melanie Fillios is the newly elected UNE Council Representative for academic staff. In this Q&A she shares a little bit about herself and her decision to stand for election.

• What motivated you to nominate for Council?

There were two reasons why I was motivated to nominate for council. First, since UNE’s restructure a few years ago, I have had a growing interest in academic governance – in particular I want to understand why we make the decisions we do as an institution. I feel many academics, myself included, have little understanding of the issues which contribute to the big decisions made by the University.  Conversely, I also hear many say the academic perspective is little considered at a higher level. Given my penchant for questioning and network that crosses the arts and sciences, I felt I could represent the academic voice to the wider community, and could help work toward clearer communication between academic staff and UNE’s governing bodies. The second reason is perhaps more personal. I came to Armidale with a very American-centered view of a university town as a vibrant, dynamic, lively place that pushed boundaries and challenged residents to create and explore. What I found instead was a university too separated from the wider community. I want to work with community leaders to change this and help make Armidale the place it could be.

• How did you feel upon seeing the results and realising you were the elected Academic staff representative?

I was extremely surprised!. So many wonderful, capable colleagues put their hands up to serve in this position, so I did not expect to be successful. I am really humbled by the faith my colleagues have placed in me.

• What do you bring to the position in terms of experience, knowledge and aspirations?

As a mid-career female academic with a young child who has done a hell of a lot of teaching since coming to UNE, I feel I identify with many of the issues faced by my colleagues, and importantly, by our students. I have spent the past few years gaining an understanding of governance, as an observer at Academic Board, and as a course coordinator for all of the Arts post graduate awards in HASSE. As a course coordinator for a large number of students, I have been involved in a range of governance issues that include TEQSA accreditation and AQF compliance. I began this service role at the start of the last restructure, and so have had the chance work with many colleagues on a variety of changes as a result. This experience has given me an appreciation of the complexity of the university – and an appreciation for the dedication of many colleagues involved in the challenges this has brought forth. On a broader level, I am not shy and consistently speak up and ask questions, and feel I can fairly and accurately represent the academic voice on council. Most who know me have heard me express my views – UNE has some issues – but it also has a lot of potential. I want to be part of helping UNE become a better place not just for our students, but for our staff.

• What are your interests away from work?

If only I had more than one lifetime – where do I start? I love to be outside with my extremely energetic eight-year old son who never stops (no great surprise for an archaeologist). I am happiest walking, running, skiing, hiking, exploring new places, travelling and learning new things.  I am also, ironically, a home body and can happily spend days working on my house – and baking. I love to bake – especially bread.

• Anything else you would like to share with staff?

I want to hear what my colleagues think so I can be an effective voice for communicating these thoughts. Please reach out – I am always up for a coffee (and cake).