Secretary to the Academic Board, Hayden Gray, recently raised $3,710.58 for the Cancer Council with his dance routine “Priscilla, Queen of the Desert” featuring favourites such as “I love the nightlife/I will survive/Shake your grove thing”.

It’s a cause Hayden feels strongly about.

“In one way or another, all of our lives have been touched by cancer, or the impact of cancer. From having seen the experience of those around me who have had cancer, to those that have cared for them in good times and bad, the ordeal of cancer is one of the most challenging and exhausting times in someone’s life. That is why I am taking part in this year’s Stars of Armidale competition; to challenge myself to increase awareness of the fantastic work of the Cancer Council and to raise much needed funds in the area!”

Stars of Armidale Dance For Cancer is a gala fundraising event where local legends, everyday heroes and influential members of the community put on their dancing shoes for a great cause.

Partnered with seasoned dance professionals, this years Stars included local real estate agents, netballers, bankers and even a Ninja Warrior, Adjunct Senior Lecturer in ERS, Dr. Sonja Dominik.

The event raised $53,629.35 in total for cancer research.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Image: Hayden and dance partner Sarah Hickey from Australian Dance Enterprises. All photo credits Rich Habana.