“A computer assists a young person with their schooling and also to stay connected with their community. When they are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless this is really important.  It is also a way to show them that someone cares.”  Laban Burgess from Armidale Youth Homelessness Support Service.

Laban recently accepted three recycled laptops today from UNE’s Pro-Vice Chancellor External Relations Mingan Choct. They were gifted to local students in need of a helping hand. 

“Getting this computer is exciting for me because I can use it for so many things. It will help me stay in touch with my friends and gives me something to watch movies and shows on. It also gives me something that I can use for schoolwork. I can use it for research and study as well as typing assignments.

Having a computer also allows me to use things like Photoshop that I would not normally be able to use. There is no way my family could have afforded to buy me a computer, so without UNE I would not be able to have these things. Thank you.” A computer recipient.

The Service assists nearly 200 young people in Armidale each year. You can find more about their work at Pathfinders

Image: Pro Vice-Chancellor External Relations, Professor Mingan Choct and Laban Burgess from the Armidale Youth Homelessness Support Service.