Select Page

To help you evaluate how you’re travelling this trimester, and what Census Date could mean for you, we’ve put together some tips and answers to the most frequently asked questions!

What is a “Census Date”?

Census Date refers to the last date to withdraw from a unit without paying the fee. This is important if you need to lighten your study load or have decided to take the trimester off. As long as you withdraw from your unit/s before11:59pm on the Census Date (Monday 20th March for Trimester 1, 2023), you will not be charged for the unit/s.

Why would this matter to me?

By now you should have an overview of when your assessments fall, and what kind of hours you’ll need to dedicate to your current study load over the next couple of months. Week 3 is the best time to step back and consider how you’re feeling about your studies. By next week, you may have already had an assessment or two, or could have experienced changes such as increased work hours, family responsibilities or health, all of which can impact on the amount of time and energy you’re able to devote to your studies.

If you have fallen behind in one or more units, or do so prior to Census Date, it is important that you evaluate whether you have enough time available to comfortably catch up in those subjects and demonstrate your true capabilities.

UNE recommends you spend 12-15 hours per week, per unit, on your study (this includes time spent reading, watching lectures, conducting research, working on assessments or study notes etc). You might like to use our helpful time management tool to see how much time you genuinely have available for study in your average week.

If you’re finding a particular subject more challenging than you’d anticipated and need some additional support, get in contact with your Unit Coordinator or a Student Advisor.

If you are beginning a new course at UNE, you must obtain a USI as soon as possible. You will need a USI to;

  • Enrol in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)
  • Access HELP Loans including HECS – HELP, FEE-HELP etc.
  • Graduate in 2023 and beyond.

Please ensure you retrieve or create your USI as soon as possible.


What is SSAF?

Student Services & Amenities Fees (SSAF) are charged to all students for non-academic services including; welfare services, orientation activities, employment and career advice services, student leadership and representation, cultural and recreational activities; and sporting activities.


What is the SA-HELP Form? Where do I find it?

If you are eligible, you can defer the payment of your SSAF using an SA-HELP Loan. If you choose to defer your SSAF Fees, you must complete the SA-HELP Form before Census Date, by logging into myUNE with your student username and password and following the directions below.

  • Select the myEnrol tab, click to enter the new enrolment portal,
  • Under the ‘Course Details’ heading, click ‘Services & Amenities HELP Form (SA-HELP)’
  • Ensure you have your Tax File Number (TFN) ready
  • Complete the SA-HELP Form.

If I’ve already paid my fees upfront this Trimester but want to withdraw from a unit/s before the Census Date. Can I get my money back?

Yes. If you have paid tuition fees upfront and withdraw from one or more units prior to the Census Date, you can request a refund of your fee through the Contact Us tab in AskUNE. Alternatively, your fees will remain as a credit on your account to be used toward any future enrolment.

If you’re an International student seeking a refund of tuition fees prior to commencing your course, you will need to contact the International Office for additional details.


Can I still withdraw after Census Date?

You are able to withdraw from a Trimester 1 unit after the Census Date, however, you will still incur the unit fees. A withdrawal after Census Date but before the last day to withdraw without Academic Penalty, will result in a W grade, which does not impact your GPA. However, it is important to be mindful that you are required to successfully complete at least 50% of units overall to meet current progression requirements. If you commenced from 2022 onwards, this is also necessary to maintain Commonwealth Support including HELP Loans. Withdrawing from a unit after Census is considered an unsuccessful unit attempt. You can read more about this requirement here.


What if something unexpected happens and this is why I need to withdraw?

If you need to withdraw after the Census Date due to unforeseen or extenuating circumstances, ensure you first fill out this form to request a remission of your fees.  If you would like to speak with our team, you can contact the Student Support Team to discuss your options.


How do I withdraw from a unit/s?

To withdraw from your units:

Accessing your unit cart

  1. Login to myUNE (using your student username and password details).
  2. Select the myEnrol tab.
  3. In the Enrolment Details section, select the link to open your Enrolment Portal.
  4. Locate and select Self-Enrolment under the Course Details section.
  5. Select the relevant course and enrolment period, and follow the link to Review and Update your enrolment.
  6. Select the Units step in the step map, or proceed through the steps until you reach Units.
  • Your current unit selections will display in the unit cart table. Any units that can be changed will have options available in the Edit column

Withdrawing from Units

  1. Under the Edit column for the relevant unit, select Discontinue.
  2. You will then be asked to provide the reason for your withdrawal. Choose one of the options presented.
  • A box is provided for you to add more details if necessary.

If you’d like a hand or have any questions, you can email Student Success through AskUNE.

If I decide to take the trimester off, is there anything else I need to do?

If you decide to take a break from your studies, or to delay the beginning of your course, you’re best to either defer request an intermission.

Deferral – If Trimester 1 would have been your first trimester of study in your course, but you’ve decided to delay your starting date, this means you’re deferring.

To officially defer your offer, please complete the Deferral Request Form.

Intermission – If you need to take a break from your course, you can request to pause your candidature by completing the intermission/suspension form  Intermission Form.


Help! I still have questions!

If you’re still uncertain, you can search our ASKUNE knowledge base using key words which will likely generate the answer you are seeking. If you’re still stuck or we’ve missed your question here, you can speak to us about your personal circumstances and the options that are most suitable for you. We love being able to assist you in reaching your goals and the earlier we speak with you, the more options and resources we are usually able to provide.

You can send an enquiry through AskUNE, call us on 02 6773 2000, or book an appointment with a Student Advisor.


We’re also available through social media, so don’t forget to follow us at;

Facebook –

Instagram –