Senior Executive Team Extension: What you might need to know and FAQs answered here
Over the last fortnight, you may be aware that UNE members of the NTEU have been involved in industrial action which we understand may have impacted on your studies and assessment preparation.
In recognition of this impact and in an effort to avoid further impact on students, the Senior Executive Team has approved an extension for a period of seven (7) working days, for all assessments with original submission dates between 12 midnight on 11 September and 11:59pm on 4 October, 2019.
The extension applies to all units*, and enrolled students for Trimester 2 will have received an email from the Pro Vice-Chancellor Academic Innovation to advise you, which looks like this:
*The only exceptions are that the extension does not apply to students enrolled in the Joint Medical Program (JMP), and does not apply to some clinical practice assessments which are unable to be changed. If you are impacted by either of these exceptions and have concerns, please reach out to email@example.com to discuss your situation.
- Do I still have to apply for the extension or will it just happen automatically? Do I need to contact the Unit Coordinator or submit an extension request form?
Unit Coordinators have all had directions to update all assessments with the approved extension. Students do not have to ask for the extension.
- Does this apply to all Faculties/Disciplines/Units? What if my Unit Coordinator or a teaching staff member has advised me/my class that this does not apply?
Yes. The Senior Executive Team has provided a blanket extension for all assessments with original submission dates falling within the above date range, regardless of your mode of study (online or on campus) or area of study.
If you have been advised by Unit/School staff that this does not apply for a certain reason, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and provide as much detail as possible about your situation.
- How long is the extension for? Do I count weekends?
The extension is for seven (7) working days from your original submission date. This does not include weekends or public holidays.
- If I already had an extension on an assessment and my submission date from that fell between these dates, do I receive the additional 7 working days extension?
The blanket extension has been provided for assessments with original submission dates between the date range above. However, if you had an existing extension causing your submission to fall between this date range, and you feel you have been impacted by the industrial action and require a further extension then please reach out to email@example.com for assistance.
- Does the extension apply to quizzes? What if my quiz has already closed?
Yes, the extension applies to all assessments including quizzes. In the first instance, you should try to make contact with your Unit Coordinator or staff within the relevant School to access the extension.
- Does the extension apply to assessments with a set open and close date?
Yes, this extension applies to all assessments falling within the set dates. Your closing date for submission should be amended in accordance with the extension provision.
- How do I make use of the extension if I have already submitted an assignment (on the 11th or later) before learning about this?
The extension still applies to your assessment if the original submission date fell within the above dates. To access the extension, you should try to make contact with your Unit Coordinator or staff within the relevant School in the first instance. A School staff member will be able to revert your submission to draft form so that you can make amendments, or will advise you of how best to proceed for your unit.
- What do I do if my Unit Coordinator advises that this extension will not be honoured?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and provide as much detail as possible about your situation so that the team can best assist you.
- Does the contract that an academic staff member is on impact whether this extension will be available for my unit/assessment?
No. The extension is for all assessment tasks falling within the above dates, regardless of the role or contract of an academic staff member in your unit.
- Will this extension still be upheld even if the new submission date falls after the start of the exam period?
Yes. As long as your original submission date for the assessment falls between the stated dates, the extension of seven (7) working days will apply, regardless of whether this places submission within the examination period.
Please be aware, feedback on assessments submitted under the new extension deadline may not be received in advance of exams, so you should factor this in when deciding when you are able to submit your assessments.
- Do I have to use the extension?
No. The extension provided is an option intended to minimise any impact that students may experience as a result of some staff taking industrial action. If you do not feel you have been impacted, or you feel that you are able to complete your assessment task in line with the original submission date then we definitely encourage you to do so.