Select Page

Update 25/11/2019:

Monday 25th November is the official Census Date for Trimester 3. Make sure to withdraw before 11:59pm on the 25th November to avoid incurring fees for a Trimester 3 unit.



Monday the 29th July, 2019 is the official Census Date for Trimester 2. 

To help you evaluate how you’re travelling so far this trimester, and to help you stay informed about what Census Date could mean for you, we’ve put together this list of tips and FAQs! Feel free to skip through to questions that are most relevant to you. 


Census Date: When is it and what does this actually mean?

For Trimester 2, 2019, Census Date is the coming Monday 29th July. Census Date just refers to the last date to withdraw from a unit without paying the fee for it.

Basically, if you need to lighten your study load or if you have decided to take the trimester off for any reason, as long as you withdraw from your unit/s before 11:59pm on the 29th July then you will not be charged for the unit/s. 


Why would this matter to me?

We’re now coming to the end of Week 3 for Trimester 2, and it’s a good time to step back and consider how you’re feeling about your studies so far. You may have already had an assessment or two by this point, or have experienced changes such as increased work hours, family responsibilities or ill health, all of which can impact on the amount of time and energy you’re able to devote to your studies.

If you’ve fallen behind in one or more of your units over the last few weeks, you may want to evaluate whether you have enough time available to you each week to comfortably catch up in those subjects in order to demonstrate your true capabilities for the trimester. As a guide, UNE recommends that you spend 12-15hours per week, per unit, on your study (this includes time spent doing readings, watching lectures, conducting research, working on assessments or study notes etc). You might like to use our helpful time management tool to work out how many hours you have spare for study each week. 

You should also have a better understanding of the requirements of your subject/s by this point. If you’re finding a particular subject more challenging than you’d anticipated and feel you might need some additional support, it’s a good idea to get in contact with your Unit Coordinator or the Student Support Team to discuss the options available to you! You can book a call from a Student Support Officer here.  

If you don’t think you’ll be able to catch up or keep up in a unit, or you feel that taking a break for the trimester would be best for your personal circumstances, then it is important to complete the withdrawal process before 11:59pm on Monday 29th July. 


What is SSAF?

Student Services & Amenities Fees (SSAF) are charged to all students for non-academic services including; welfare services, orientation activities, employment and career advice services, student leadership and representation, cultural and recreational activities; and sporting activities. You can read more about SSAF here if you’re interested. 


What is the SA-HELP Form? Where do I find it?

Depending on whether you’re eligible, you may be able to defer the payment of your SSAF using an SA-HELP Loan. You can find information about eligibility here

If you are eligible and want to defer your SSAF Fees you must complete the SA-HELP Form before 11:59pm Monday 29th July, by logging into myUNE with your student username and password. Then select the myEnrol tab and under the ‘Enrolment Details’ heading, click ‘Services & Amenities HELP Form (SA-HELP)’. 

Here you can complete the SA-HELP Form. Please have your Tax File Number (TFN) ready to provide as part of the form. 


If I’ve already paid my fees upfront this Trimester but want to withdraw from a unit/s before the Census Date, can I get my money back?

Of course. If you have paid tuition fees upfront and withdraw from one or more units prior to the Census Date, you can request a refund of your fee through the Contact Us tab in AskUNE. Alternatively, your fees will remain as a credit on your account to be used toward any future enrolment if you wish. 

If you’re an International student seeking a refund of tuition fees prior to commencing your course, you will need to contact the International Office for additional details. 

You can read more about refunding fees here


Can I still withdraw after the Census Date?

Definitely. However, if you withdraw from a unit after the Census Date for the trimester, you will still be charged the unit fees. 


What if something unexpected happens and this is why I need to withdraw?

If your need to withdraw after the Census Date is due to unforeseen or extenuating circumstances, then please get in contact with the Student Support Team to discuss the options that could be available to you. You can find steps to contact us at the bottom of the article. 


How do I withdraw from a unit/s?

To withdraw from a unit:

    1. Log into myUNE using your UNE username and password.
    2. Click on the myEnrol tab and then click on the link: ‘Enrolment and Enrolment Variation’. If you are undertaking more than one award, click on the link to the relevant course.
    3. Click the ‘Units’ link underneath the ‘Online Variation Step’ heading (in the blue box towards the bottom of the screen).
    4. To withdraw from a unit, click on the ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove’ or ‘Discontinue’ tick box for the unit
    5. Click on the ‘Confirm’ button in the bottom left-hand side of the screen.
    6. If you are withdrawing from units, select a reason from the drop down menu if it appears.
    7. Click on the ‘Confirm’ then on ‘Save and View Transaction’ button that appears if your enrolment is correct.
    8. Click ‘Return to Current Enrolment’ and make sure that the correct units have a status of ‘Enrolled’. Ensure that any withdrawn units have disappeared or have a status of ‘Discontinued’.

If you’d like a hand or have any questions, you can call Student Success on 02 6773 2000. They’re available 8am-6pm weekdays. 


If I decide to take the trimester off, is there anything else I need to do?

If you decide to take a break from your studies, or to delay the beginning of your course then you’re best to either defer or take an intermission.

Deferral – If Trimester 2 would have been your first trimester of study in your course, but you’ve decided to delay your starting date, then this means you’re deferring. 

To officially defer your offer, please complete the Deferral Request Form

Intermission – If you have already studied in a previous trimester within your current course (so you began in Trimester 1 2019 or prior), then taking a trimester off is known as an Intermission. 

This isn’t assessed, you just need to let us know that you’re taking it so that we can press pause for you! Most students can take up to two years off from study without losing time off your period of candidature. 

If you’re taking an Intermission then please make sure to complete the Intermission Form



Help! I still have questions!

If you’re still uncertain, we’ve missed your question here, or you’d like to speak about your personal circumstances and the options that are most suitable for you then please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We love being able to assist you in reaching your goals and the earlier we speak with you, the more options and resources we are usually able to provide.

You can book a phone call from a Student Support Officer here. Alternatively, you can email us at, or call 02 6773 4430. 

We’re also available through social media, so don’t forget to follow us at;

Facebook – 

Instagram –

Twitter –