Image: Karen (centre) pictured in the Moot court with some of her students.

UNE Communications recently caught up with Karen Conte, Barrister at Law. Originally from Gunnedah, NSW, Karen lectures in the UNE Law School. As a barrister, She has written and presents the ‘Barristers In Schools’ program through the NSW Bar Association and NSW Talent Centre, a program she sees as integral in raising up the next generation of outstanding lawyers. Karen also presents on Family Law issues at conferences for practising lawyers. 

What does your current role at UNE entail? 

My role with UNE involves coordinating and lecturing in three units for the School of Law. These units are Professional Conduct, Children’s Law and Introduction to Legal Studies. I’m passionate about all of these units and seeing students interested, learning and succeeding. I wrote the Children’s Law unit for UNE so it has a special significance to me. I’m honoured to be able to help raise up a new generation of excellent legal practitioners. My role at UNE combines both my life passions, education and law.

I am also co-chair of the Law School Engagement Committee where we bring ‘law’ to the community, including programs like ‘Trial By Jury’ for kids.

What does International Women’s Day mean to you?

For me it’s a day to reflect, honour and celebrate the contributions of women, the diversity, nurturing and dedication that women add in our community. No matter what their role, mother, employee, employer and the many other roles women have in life… they are significant. My mum was a great role model. She showed me everyday by her actions that nothing is too hard if you put your mind to it. She showed me how to do multiple things at once and keep in control. She showed me encouragement (and still does). That’s something to celebrate!

What advice do you have for women who want to make a career in Law?

I say whatever you want to achieve, work at it and you will achieve it. Surround yourself with positive role models… always remember your passion and why you are doing something, especially when faced with inevitable hurdles and challenges. Follow your instinct as what you think or what others expect might not be what you actually know or want. Always be confident yet humble and know that everyday your learning continues. Be kind to others and to yourself and finally, make sure you have time to be you and time for your family and friends. 

How can we encourage future women leaders?

There are two things here: education and opportunity. Ensuring that education is available at an excellent standard to all women is important. That’s where online studies are really significant in making education more accessible. Giving women opportunities in leadership capacities is also important. This involves significant others (such as more experienced colleagues, male and female) creating or providing such opportunities, especially for our young women and supporting them along the way. 

Is there anyone that inspires you in your career?

My parents will always inspire me and the many people who supported and encouraged me along the way will always also continue to inspire me. These include past and present colleagues (in all my jobs), my own teachers, lecturers, my PLT supervisor, barrister colleagues who took me under their wing in the early years and gave me wonderful opportunities to learn, my opponents, clients and students who keep me inspired and driven to do my best.

I am also inspired by the incredible wisdom and dedication of our Judges and Magistrates. I love the legal reasoning and articulation of what is ultimately right (even if it goes against my case!)

Why do you think diversity in the workplace is so important?

It is crucial that as travellers on this planet we have a respect for each and every fellow traveller… no matter who they are, where they are from, what their belief system is, what their circumstances are. I always taught in the Public School System because I valued diversity and working with children from divergent backgrounds, needs and circumstances. Understanding others and working successfully alongside others no matter what their circumstances makes for a better world and better individuals.