Professor Hamish Maxwell-Stewart has been appointed Project Lead in Heritage Studies and Digital Humanities within the School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (HASS).

How long have you been at UNE and in Armidale?
I have just arrived! Although I have been working with researchers at UNE for a number of years. While I will continue to live in Hobart, Tasmania, I will be a frequent visitor to Armidale.

Tell me a bit about your background and how you decided to do what you do today.
I used to be an Associate Dean Research at the University of Tasmania where I worked for 23 years. During that time, I oversaw the development of a multi-generational database that can be used to track outcomes for transported convicts, their children and grandchildren. I also used these resources to develop a highly successful Diploma in Family History as well as helping to create a number of heritage site exhibitions and visualisations including an award-winning educational computer game. I do what I do because I like engaging with people, whether through research or teaching.

What do you enjoy about your role?
Finding new ways of bringing the past to life. While I like the challenge of developing novel visualisations, I think it is important for historians to demonstrate the ways in which the past shapes the present. I do this by exploring intergenerational outcomes—particularly in relation to health. I also enjoy using the results of my research to create better archival interfaces and teaching resources.

Overall, what would you really like people to know about your area of teaching and/or research?
While I work with 19th and 20th century Australian records, I am interested in all kinds of research questions. I love teaching world history for example. I am very much looking forward to my new UNE colleagues telling me about their research.

What are your interests away from work?
Fly fishing and boardgames.