Written by Julia Day

Like many teenage boys, high school wasn’t a good fit for #UNELaw alumnus Daniel Haig. In fact, Daniel left high school early and instead started working as a ‘000’ operator. ‘Within months of leaving school I was dispatching ambulances in Brisbane.’ After a few years Daniel decided to join the police force in South Australia. He moved his wife and young son to Adelaide and he started his career as a country police officer.

When Daniel turned 24 he decided it was time to ‘have a go at studying and pursue a career.’ He chose UNE after recommendations from family and friends and has never regretted his choice.  He applied to study law and the rest as they say is history…

Daniel loved his time at #UNELaw where by any measure he excelled. Like many UNE Law students, he had to balance study, family, work, and other life commitments.

Daniel particularly enjoyed Evidence Law with Associate Professor Ottavio Quirico and Criminal Law with Michelle Edgely.  ‘Coming from a policing background I really enjoyed Criminal and Evidence Law. When I was working as a police officer I undertook evidence collection and I found it fascinating to see how this translated in a court setting.’

Other favourites included WORK300 and Tort Law with yours truly- I promise I didn’t bribe him!!! He notes the best experience within his LLB was completing work experience with Magistrate David Heilpern within the Work300 unit.

Daniel notes ‘It was a real privilege to have the opportunity to work alongside Magistrate David Heilpern. It gave me an insight into the challenges faced by Magistrates due to the growing number and complexity of cases they hear. His Honour was candid about the personal toll it had taken on him during his 20 years on the bench. I had the opportunity to observe and assist him during a contested hearing in which a woman was charged with resisting arrest and assaulting a police, however, the arrest and use of force was unlawful (her charges were dismissed). As a former police officer, it was a sobering experience to see the incident and police actions from a judicial perspective as I knew I had made similar errors of judgement during my service. It served as a poignant reminder of how the court process plays a vital role in protecting individual rights and scrutinising the conduct of police because, like all systems, law enforcement relies on humans who can make mistakes or act improperly.’ 

In 2016 Daniel chose to leave the police force. By this time Daniel had three kids and unsurprisingly shift work wasn’t ideal. Daniel and his family moved to Lismore to be closer to extended family. He secured a job at the Sherriff’s Office in Lismore. He again saw how his law studies were put into practice at a practical level through his experiences in the local and district court.

After completing his law degree, Daniel was admitted as a solicitor. He was offered a job with Bolt Findlay Solicitors and Mediators in Lismore after completing his PLT placement with them. In this new role he mainly undertakes work in Criminal Law, Family Law and Wills and Estates. Daniel was thrilled to be offered this job as it signifies ‘the culmination of a lot of hard work where my family and I experienced many challenging times.’ It is clear that Daniel will make an outstanding legal practitioner. His diverse life experiences where he has worked in many aspects of the legal system will be a real benefit to his clients.

Daniel and Talia

Daniel credits much of his success to Talia- his wife- who has stood by him through thick and thin. The couple actually met in high school and became an item in Year 11. ‘Talia often had to put up with a cranky husband as I spent many long nights in my office studying. We have always worked together as partners and her support has been unwavering!’

Congratulations on your success Daniel!! You are a real credit to your family, UNE Law and the legal professional as a whole!!