Trite Expressions

by | Oct 17, 2020 | Language | 0 comments

A few weeks ago I said to some students in my counselling class that counselling is not rocket science. An hour later I realised that I had used a trite expression: not rocket science. I meant that the students are not learning something that is highly complex.

Why did I go down the trite path? For the same reason we all do: It is easier to copy expressions of others than to create our own. 

It turns out that I use many trite expressions. I bet you do too.

Here are some trite expressions: Bury the hatchet. Live and let live. At death’s door. As busy as a bee. 

Let’s ponder this one: the blushing bride. This blushing business is from a long-gone era. Alliterative alternatives: beaming bride or beautiful bride. Let’s stay away from “bulging bride” even if she is due to deliver any day. 

You want more, I reckon: Break the ice, fine kettle of fish, wrack my brains, sad but true, mad as a wet hen. 

Focus now on this beauty:  with bated breath. I object to this one more than others because almost no one knows what “bated” means. I will tell you because I went to the trouble to look it up. It means restrained or diminished. 

Do not think that I oppose all trite expressions. They do express an idea in a way others understand. 

Here is one I used when speaking with a young woman who told me that she had created a scene by dressing provocatively at the wedding of a female friend. I said to her: You stole the bride’s thunder.  

You might think that as a psychologist I could have seen a bit deeper into my friend’s behaviour. I did later, after using the trite expression. 

I stand guilty of using the following expression many times in my derivative life: Sell like hotcakes. 

I reckon you want more trite expressions. Here is one: Let’s get the ball rolling. If you want to use this concept, at least change the ball from rolling to bouncing.

Another one: The jig is up. I like this one — I picture criminals dancing until the moment they are nabbed by police. 

I hope that my comments do not make me seem like a stuffed shirt who is stirring up a hornet’s nest. 

Now you name some trite expressions you use. If you want to be clever, think of a good alternative. 

Photo by SpaceX on Unsplash

0 Comments

Submit a Comment