Mary Alhawsawi is an HDR student at the UNE Business School, and one of our many talented International students. Mary had previously completed an MBA in Accounting in Saudi Arabia before working as a lecturer at a Saudi Government University for four years. Mary moved to Australia at the end of 2016 with a passion to research and write on bridging the gap in accounting teaching material for Saudi women. 

“My research project stems from the love I have for teaching accounting. From my previous experience in my field, I found that there is a gap between the outputs of the accounting department and the requirements of the labour market in many aspects, and I realised there is a need for change in the educational process in order to obtain greater quality and more appropriate outputs for the labour market.

Fortunately, I found a wonderful supervisor to help me put my dream into motion which is how I developed my research idea, entitled ‘Bridging the Educational Gap in Saudi Female Accounting Teaching Material’.

I decided to study my PhD for two main reasons. The first one is to fulfil a personal desire I have had since I was a child to complete the highest level of study by obtaining a PhD. The second reason is because this is a requirement for me to achieve a promotion in my job back home.

My home Saudi Arabia is a country that differs in almost everything from Australian culture and my studies have given me the opportunity to enjoy the difference in our clothing, food, language, music, and within the relationships between individuals, friends and classmates.

The International Students Office does so much to help us as international students to mix with the local students in a fun and inviting environment. I have been part of many cultural activities and events they have organised. The library has also provided support to me with the various short courses they offer in cooperation with HDR students.

The UNE Business School provides students with the best quality of services, and I am really proud of this affiliation. What I enjoy the most at UNEBS is working with my wonderful supervisor Dr Leopold Bayerlein. Leopold has been a great mentor to me at providing both academic and mental support. The School has also provided me with so many great connections with colleagues from different cultural backgrounds. I really enjoy this wonderful cultural mix. The UNE Business School’s various seminars presented periodically to the members of the school have also been a highlight in my journey at UNE. This year I was honoured to be nominated to represent HDR students in the UNEBS Seminar Series. 

My advice for all international students is to be patient because everything at the beginning is very difficult, but thanks to UNE’s academic guidance and ongoing support students can reach the right balance between life, study and their favourite hobbies with the new friends.”