Jane Stent studied with UNE online, and lives in the far west Hunter region of NSW. Jane shows that it is possible to work full time and study, as well as enjoy the ride!

Like many off-campus students I work full time, in the finance industry, alongside study. I started studying a Bachelor of Business (Professional Accounting/Applied Finance) through UNE in my early 20’s. At the time I was working as a Trainee Accountant and caught the numbers bug fairly quickly. I’ve always been academic so it made sense to me to develop my number skills through tertiary study – and here we are four years later. UNE appeared to offer the flexibility and somewhat on-demand study schedule I needed, my degree overall has been a manageable addition to the daily juggle!

Like many UNE students, I squeezed my study in around full-time work, a fair daily commute, community activities and a social life – so it was certainly a busy few years of study but very enjoyable. I found UNE and my lecturers flexible, accommodating and understanding of the hurdles off-campus sometimes students face.

UNE was therefore the perfect university for my hectic schedule. Everyone with whom I’ve come into contact at UNE has been incredibly helpful and supportive – it’s been a great experience overall!

Completing a tertiary degree is a huge milestone in anyone’s life. For me, it marks the end of some hectic years and busy schedules. I’m looking forward to enjoying some more free time!

Overall, I’m excited to see what’s ahead for me career wise, I feel my degree has equipped me with the skills, knowledge and confidence to excel in whatever field I choose.

I’ve been lucky enough to work in both accounting and finance throughout my business degree; it’s been fantastic experience both prior to graduating to give me a better picture of what lies ahead. I’ve recently completed a diploma of Financial Planning, alongside my degree, so I’m looking forward to sinking my teeth deeper into financial services. Whilst I love working in the bush, heading to a larger centre is certainly appealing to hone my skills and push myself intellectually; I’ve always been a driven individual. No doubt too my love of learning will see me hitting the books again down the track. Eventually, the goal is to run my own business – I’m a bit of an aspiring entrepreneur!