“Fortis Fortuna Aduivat – Fortune Favours the Brave” – an inspiring quote Business School Alumni Bobby Narain believes has helped achieve his goals.

After completing a Master of Business Administration (International Business) at UNE in 2018, Bobby received the 2019 Alumni Award for his humanitarian aid work and leadership in the aftermath of the 2016 Fijian tropical Cyclone Winston. He has since become the CEO & Director of Railway Radio Communications.
We spoke with Bobby about his inspiring work during and after his time at UNE.

What led you to study at UNE?
A previous project manager had told me that my writing skills were weak. I saw this as an opportunity to turn one of my weaknesses into a strength. This was a challenge as English is my second language, but that never deterred me. Writing skills are important in any business environment and so I was determined to not give up on improving mine. The units were tough and required a lot of research which I enjoyed, but there was always support from the teaching staff and UNE student support in areas that I was struggling with. I took one unit per trimester and totally dedicated my time to writing at a high level.

What have you accomplished since graduating?
After graduating from UNE I started another entrepreneurial adventure in import and export. It has involved a lot of hard work but I don’t ever shy away from a challenge. There are more failures then success in life, but the idea is to learn from each failure and celebrate each success. You just have to keep at it. It’s similar to attempting to cut a large tree with a small axe… if you keep at it and keep chipping away, eventually you will arrive at your goal.

What was the 2019 Alumni Achievement Award for?
I was awarded the 2019 Alumni Achievement Award for my efforts in the aftermath of the 2016 Tropical Cyclone Winston when my homeland, Fiji, was struck. The natural disaster killed 44 people and devastated the villages and critical infrastructure. After contacting the Fijian consulate in Sydney to offer my assistance, I opened up my freight warehouse for the receipt and dispatch of donated goods and food, and personally co-ordinated the appeal, organising trucks and fuel, pallets and forklifts to operate the makeshift depot. It was a golden opportunity to give back to my fellow Fijians. We always wonder why bad things happen and may not feel confident in being part of the greater good to help. In my situation I was at the right place and the right time to be able to do so. It really taught me a lot of things in the political and international context. If you have the power to give then go ahead and get that ball rolling you will be able to accomplish what you set out to do. The 2019 UNE Alumni Achievement Award was the icing on cake with my 2018 MBA graduation.

What is your advice to future and current students?
My advice to students studying at UNE today is to study hard. Beat the paper – don’t let that paper beat you. Don’t settle for low grades, if you managed a credit then the next unit has to be a distinction, and if you have achieved a distinction then chase the high distinction. I hated every minute of training, but constantly reminded myself of the words of the late Muhammad Ali, “Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.”
If you hate every minute of studying, don’t quit. Suffer now, for when you graduate with your award it will open doorways that will let you live the rest of your life as a champion.
My steps to success which you can follow
1. Create a strategy to get to your goal.
2. Apply discipline to stay on the path.
3. Be consistent and execute with your actions.
4. Prove them wrong, keep passing your units.

Good luck with your pathway in life.

Do you know a UNE Alumni who has been doing amazing things?! Why not nominate them for the UNE Alumni Awards!

Our alumni go on to do amazing things after they graduate from UNE and we love to highlight those who have been contributing to their work and community in a positive way!

Help us by nominating UNE Alumni for their efforts here: https://bit.ly/2AlPI9b

Nominations close June 30th