Select Page

At UNE we are continuing to review our response to COVID-19 and to provide further support measures to you.

New Initiative (we think you’ll like this one)

If you demonstrate that COVID-19 has impacted your study, you may be eligible for the following:

  • Withdrawal without Academic Penalty
    The date by which you can withdraw yourself without academic penalty has been extended to 29 May 2020.Applications after 29 May 2020 will revert to the standard application process.
  • Apply to change a Fail (N), Fail Incomplete (NI) or Fail Compulsory Assessment (NC) grade to a Withdrawn (W) grade.
  • Apply to change a Pass (P), Credit (C) or Distinction (D) to a Satisfactory grade. In these circumstances, S grades will not be included in the calculation of your grade point average. If you don’t believe that this arrangement will suit your progression, please contact Student Success to discuss your options.Note that this may not be available for some professionally accredited degrees.

Credit your fees

Until 29 May 2020, you now have the option to apply for a credit of your fees if you choose to Withdraw without Academic Penalty, or Apply to change a Fail (N), Fail Incomplete (NI) or Fail Compulsory Assessment (NC) grade to a withdrawn (W) grade.

Students who meet the conditions and can demonstrate an impact on their studies from COVID-19 can apply for a credit of fees.

This credit includes most fee types (HECS, Full Fee International and Full Fee Domestic) except for unit enrolments through Open Universities Australia (OUA). If you enrolled via OUA, you should check the OUA website for more information.   

Apply for withdrawal and credit of fees

How will the fees be credited?

Once approved, the credit will be equal to the cost of the eligible unit/s and will be held for you against your student account until census date of Trimester 2, 2021 (19 July 2021).

The credit can be used in one enrolment period or over multiple periods up until its expiry in Trimester 2, 2021. The fee credit is for the cost of the unit/s only and does not include the Student Services Amenities Fee (SSAF).

What if I have already withdrawn? Is this automatic or do I need to do something?

This is available to you if you have already withdrawn and also for those who withdraw before 29 May 2020. But – you still need to apply!

You do not need to provide additional supporting information, simply click on the link to apply.  

Once your application is received, we will assess the application and will email you once the credit has been applied to your account. This will then be automatically applied to your future unit enrolment/s.

What about changing a grade?

Once results have been released on 1 July 2020, more information will be provided for you if you wish to seek a credit of fees on a failed grade or convert a Pass, Credit or Distinction grade to a Satisfactory grade.

What have we done to support you so far?

  • We have cancelled or postponed Trimester 1 intensive schools
  • We have moved all examinations online
  • We have provided extensions with an easy online form, without the need for siginificant supporting documents
  • We have relaxed the requirements for special consideration. You should follow the usual process to apply for special consideration, providing a statement of impact. Note that you are still able to supply the usual evidence if you have it.

Supplementary examinations available

If you are studying in your final trimester and achieve an overall unit mark of 45-49%, and did not pass an exam in a unit that makes you unable to progress to graduation, you will automatically be offered a supplementary examination.

When will we return to campus/ on campus study?

We know a lot of you are keen to get back to campus, and we are actively monitoring the situation to know when this can happen. We will keep you updated on any developments as they occur.

Keep updated by viewing our Coronavirus Information page.

If you are interested in these processes, please keep reading below for more information.


Withdraw Without Penalty and Fee Credit for COVID-19 Affected Students

If you feel that the other measures available are not going to be enough to get you through a Trimester 1 unit, we have introduced the option of withdrawing from Trimester 1 2020 units and receiving a fee credit to use in your next enrolment.


You are eligible for this option if:

  • The impacts of COVID-19 have made it necessary to withdraw from Trimester 1 studies
  • You have withdrawn from your unit/s after the 23 March 2020 Census Date and been charged the unit fee
  • You are not studying your units through Open Universities Australia (OUA). Students studying through OUA will need to contact OUA about their options. You can find contact information and details of their ‘Special Circumstances’ process on the OUA ‘Information for students during COVID-19’ webpage.
  • All other Trimester 1 unit fee types are eligible for this option, including International.

How to apply

  • You can submit an application by completing the online form, no further documentation is required
  • You need to submit the online form by midnight 29 May 2020, no extension to this deadline is possible
  • If you have any difficulties with the form, please contact Student Success

How will the fee credit work?

  • The credit will be equal to the cost of the unit/s that you withdraw from and seek a credit for in Trimester 1 2020
  • The credit will be held on your account until the Census Date for Trimester 2 2021 (19 July 2021), and will be used to reduce the cost of any enrolment up until that date
  • You do not have to enrol in the same unit/s you withdrew from to make use of the credit
  • If the credit does not cover the full cost of your next enrolment, you will only be charged the difference
  • If the credit is not used entirely on your next enrolment, the remainder will be held on your account to use with later enrolment, up until the Census Date for Trimester 2 2021 (19 July 2021)
  • If the full value of the credit is not used by the Census Date for Trimester 2 2021, then any unused credit will become void
  • Please note that this process addresses the unit fee, the Student Services Amenities Fee (SSAF) is not carried over as credit
  • If you take up the option to seek a fee credit you will not be eligible to seek a Remission of fees for those Trimester 1 units. However, until you use the credit, you can still ask for it to be revoked and seek Remission through the normal process and within the normal deadline. Please note, to seek Remission you would need to demonstrate circumstances in relation to the Trimester 1 2020 Census Date. Later circumstances that might affect your ability to make use of a fee credit would not normally be relevant to a Trimester 1 Remission application. You can contact Student Success to discuss this further.

What if I want to remain enrolled or I miss the 29 May deadline?

If you would like to remain enrolled, you can make use of the support options currently available to students impacted by COVID-19 and speak to Student Success if you have any concerns.

If you remain enrolled in your Trimester 1 unit/s, but are unable to pass them due to the impact of COVID-19, there will be another option to address those circumstances. The application process for this option will become available once results for Trimester 1 2020 are released on 1 July 2020.

It is also still possible to apply for a Remission of fees through the usual process.

For more information and updates, make sure to have a look at the Coronavirus Information page.