All things enrolment! Some tips and tricks to consider when you’re enrolling

Published On October 21, 2019 | By Ellen | Getting Started, Resources

We’ve put together a few things that you might come across in the process of enrolling. For more information you can click on the headings below or you can contact us using the details at the bottom of this page.


  • If within your course you are required to do a major (or majors) please make sure you nominate it in the Majors step when you enrol. Deciding on a major early on in your course will make it easier to map out your course as you progress through it. Not all courses have a major requirement, you can check if yours does by visiting your course page on the Course and Unit Catalogue and click on Course Rules and Plans.

Invalid Units

  • If you have an invalid unit in your enrolment it could mean that you do not meet a prerequisite or co-requisite requirement. This can be for a number of reasons. If you already have permission to waive the prerequisites please attach this permission to your request. Enrolment and Progression staff will then complete your enrolment. 
    • * A pre-requisite is a unit that you must pass before you will be permitted to enrol in a related or subsequent unit
    • *A co-requisite is a unit that you must have either previously passed, or are studying at the same time as another related unit.

Course Updates

  • If you are looking for a unit and cannot find it, you can check Course Updates for summaries of Course Rule changes, which includes changes to the names of units and unit codes.  

Timetables (for on campus units)

  • Be sure to check for Timetable clashes for on campus units. You can find directions to build your personalised timetable by clicking the ‘Timetables’ heading above. If you are studying your units On Campus and experience a clash you could get in touch with each Unit Coordinator to seek advice or you could consider taking one of the units Online, if available. 

Intensive Schools (for online units)

  • If you are studying online it is important to check your units for mandatory intensive schools that can be scheduled either prior to or during the teaching period. You can find out if your unit has an intensive school by searching your unit code in the Course and Unit Catalogue.
  • Most dates for intensive schools will be available in the October prior to the following academic year.  It is important to check for clashes/overlap of intensive schools to ensure that you will be able to attend all mandatory components for each unit, you can do this by searching for unit codes on the Timetabling page. Again, if you come across a clash it is a good idea to contact your Unit Coordinator/s for advice.


Census Date

  • Once you have enrolled it is important to keep in mind the Census Dates for each Trimester, which you can find on our Principal Dates page. Census date is the last day to withdraw from your units without incurring the cost of units.

Other things that might be on your mind…

Want to transfer to a new course?

  • If you are a current student wishing to transfer into a new course, you may apply for your preferred course through the How to Apply page. Alternatively you can give our Offer Assurance team a call who are able to take your application to transfer over the phone. Call them on 1800 844 894.

Need a break from your studies?

  • If you would like to take a break from your studies, make sure you let us know by completing the intermission form. This is not an assessed process, but you do need to let us know you’re taking a break, so that you can do so without losing time off your period of candidature.

If you are unsure about any of this information or have any additional questions you can reach us by; 

Like this Article? Share it!

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *