The Insider’s Guide to intensive schools: things to keep in mind
Trimester 1 Intensive Schools are now in full swing, so here’s our list of things to keep in mind if this is your first time on campus. If there is something we have missed, please don’t hesitate to get in touch!
- Accommodation: You can book your on-campus accommodation here or have a look at staying in town (go here for info and bookings).
- Getting Around Campus: You can find the official campus/College maps here.
- Transport – Free Shuttle Bus: A free shuttle bus is now available to help you get from A to B and allow you to focus on your studies instead of worrying about how to get around. You can read more about this here. This service will run until Monday the 6th of May following the end of Intensive Schools for Trimester 1. If you have any particular requirements, definitely give the Safety & Security Team a ring on (02) 6773 2099 and they’ll help you out! You can find more information about other transport provided by our Safety & Security Team here.
- Alternative transport options – Bus or Taxi: Edwards Coaches is the local provider so go here for the timetable and the latest bus route map. Taxi’s are also available on 02 6771 1455.
- IT: Here’s all the info you need to get access to the high-speed UNE network while you’re here (and yes you can arrange it before you leave home – Wired version and Wireless Version). FYI, some College Rooms (due to building materials) do not receive good quality wireless signal so make sure you throw an ethernet cable in your bag before you leave if you’re staying in College.
- Library: No doubt you’ll be using the Library while you’re here. Click on the link for information about the learning commons.
- ID Cards: You’ll need a student ID card – if you haven’t sorted yours out yet, hop online and complete your application form here, and you’ll be able to collect this from Safety and Security, located in the central courtyard underneath the Bistro, while you’re here (be sure to bring 100 points of ID with you).
- Student Success: If you’d like to talk to someone about your degree, unit selection, options, changes etc, drop into Dixson Library and book an appointment with one of the team at Student Success.
- Parking: Make sure you park in the purple visitor parking bays prices are $8/day or $15/Week (probably the cheapest option). Don’t run the gauntlet, the fines are significant!
- Mobile Phones: Coverage is pretty good all over campus and there’s a great UNE mobile app to help you find your way around – mUNE (Download for Android here or Download for iOS here).
- Food & Drinks: You have three options – Campus Essentials (which includes the newsagent and Australia post); Cafe Life in the northern courtyard and Booloominbah. Cafe Life is open 7.30am-4pm weekdays and will also be open Saturday & Sunday from 8am-3pm over Intensive School weekends. Booloominbah is also open 7.30am-3pm weekdays.
- Flexi-teller: There’s a Commonwealth ATM located around the corner from the hairdresser, next to Northern car park.
- UNE Medical Centre: If you need to see a Doctor during your stay, you can book online here.
If you have any other questions we can help with, please feel free to give us a ring on (02) 6773 4430!