DISASTER ASSISTANCE: Provisions for students affected by NZ earthquake; Resources + advice to support studies
UNE is saddened to see reports of the recent earthquake in NZ and the impact it has had on many. We would like to remind you of the support available from UNE should this affect your studies.
- Short extensions on assignments (generally 2 weeks or less) can be arranged, in most cases by contacting your unit coordinator prior to the due date with your request. Some Schools and Disciplines have slightly different procedures for applying and you should be able to find this information within your teaching material in Moodle etc. Should you require any assistance in navigating these processes, please contact Student Central on 02 6773 4444 or via AskUNE http://www.une.edu.au/askune
- Substantial extensions for those who have been severely affected can be sought through the Special Extension of Time application process. The maximum extension available is up until the end of the following trimester’s teaching period. Relevant supporting documentation or proof of your situation must be provided along with a formal application. The application form and instructions can be accessed at http://www.une.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/9283/special-ext-time-assign.pdf
- If your ability to study and prepare for an exam has been impacted yet you are still able to attend the exam, then you may be eligible for Special Consideration. If approved, the marker can take your situation into account and this is worth up to an additional 3% on your overall mark.
- Affected students who wish to apply for Special Consideration should submit an Application for Special Consideration (PDF, 205.3 KB) Relevant supporting documentation or proof of your situation is required.
- Severely affected students who find that they are unable to attend an exam due to their situation may be eligible for a Special Exam. This is a deferred exam, and if approved will then be held at the end of the following trimester. Further information and the application form can be accessed at Application for Special Examination (PDF, 224.36 KB) Relevant supporting documentation or proof of your situation is required.
- It is possible to change your exam centre should you find that you have had to relocate due to the impact on you. This may be an option which may make it easier for you to attend your exams in these circumstances.
- Please contact the Examinations Office in Student Central as soon as you become aware of the need to change your exam location to another centre.
Counselling and Support:
- UNE offers free counselling to students including off campus students, more info is available at http://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/student-support/counselling
- Need someone to chat to about any other issue you are experiencing at UNE ? Contact the Student Support Team http://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/student-support/personal-support
Please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this incident in UNE should you require any further information or assistance.
Warm Regards, UNE Student Central
Source: Kylie Day – Exams Unit