OPINION: “Things I’ve learned from the last 30 Orientation Programs at UNE”

Published On February 21, 2014 | By ED | News

During the week I was asked how many Orientations I have been involved with since I started at UNE more than 14 years ago. I had a guess at 27 but checked again this morning and as of the current Program I think If you add in all the mid year and Tri 3 programs I am about to complete number 30 (can hardly believe it myself and no wonder I look the way I do 😉 )

But it got me thinking about what I’ve learned from successful students over the years and the discussions I’ve had with students who needed a little help during their studies (and that’s most students at some point in time).

We don’t normally write opinion pieces here at the Insiders’ Guide, but I thought to celebrate Orientation 30 we might break the tradition a little bit.

You see, I’m a bit of a nerd and over the past 6 months I’ve needed to get a bit healthier (and lose quite a bit of weight .. thanks Doc). So I’ve been doing plenty of research about how best to do it: the best exercises; the best diets; stupid online advertisements for ‘How to Get Ripped Abs’ etc (that’s NEVER going to happen). During this research I stumbled across Nerd Fitness (check it out here). One of the things I enjoy about the info from Steve (the NERD Fitness head honcho) is his thoughts about the process of getting healthy.

But what has that got to do with lessons for students you ask?

In an email to members of the Nerd Fitness Rebellion this morning, Steve posted six points on how to get healthy and lose weight:

• Stop asking “are we there yet?” The truth is, we never really arrive. Instead, ask “am I better today than yesterday?” That’s the only comparison you can make.

• Stop worrying about reaching the destination at any cost, and instead put your focus on making the journey something you actually enjoy and can maintain.

• Go slowly. One habit built over two months (that you will stick with indefinitely) is better than 10 changes you’ll abandon as soon as you can.

• Put your faith in the process, and focus on what you can control every day. As long as you are heading in the right direction, you’ll get there.

• Celebrate small victories. One extra push up than before is a win. Eating one more healthy item this week is a win.

• Be thankful you get to take this journey. Be grateful each night for the opportunity to live.

It struck me that those tips are equally applicable to study and the journey to Graduation.

So with the the start of Trimester 1 just a few short days away, I think it’s work applying some of those thoughts to your studies:

Enjoy the journey, Education is a wonderful thing and it’s a a privilege to have that opportunity.

We’ll be with you along the way.
Ed (on behalf of Blake, Frances, Jacinta, Lisa & Rachel aka the Student Support Team)

Like this Article? Share it!

About The Author

3 Responses to OPINION: “Things I’ve learned from the last 30 Orientation Programs at UNE”

1. Amy says:

So true, Ed. 🙂

2. kate mckenzie says:

Hi Ed
    Great advice and info.

3. Leonie Reynolds says:

Hi Ed
    Thanks for the sensible and ‘do-able’ advice to us nervous ones, and I hope you enjoy your own (fitness) journey.