STUDENT SERVICES AND AMENITIES FEE: Student feedback sought; details of expenditure; services on offer for 2014-15

Published On December 18, 2013 | By ED | News

Our friend Eve who is the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) Project Manager is seeking student feedback – here’s the full info (follow the details below to respond with your thoughts and you can download the report on expenditure right here):

On 6 December 2013, the University of New England Vice-Chancellor, Professor James Barber, approved expenditure of a range of activities funded by the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). These fees were collected from UNE students in 2012 and 2013, while the actual expenditure spans 2013 to 2015 (click here for the full report).

The Vice-Chancellor recently announced that SSAF would not be collected from UNE external students for courses/units in which they enrol from Trimester 1, 2014.  SSAF-funded library and second hand book postage services for external students will continue in 2014.  On-campus parking, the campus-town bus shuttle, and the airport/train station pick-up service for external students visiting UNE’s Armidale campus for mandatory intensive schools also will continue in 2014.

All funding proposals are carefully considered by the Student Services and Amenities Fee Committee (SSAFC), which comprises UNESA and University representatives.

Your feedback and ongoing interest in the maintenance and development of the UNE student Commons is important. Please send your feedback on these funding proposals to egavel2@une.edu.au, SSAF Project Manager, by Monday 6 January 2013.

Allocations for some activities have already occurred, such as 2013 activities for student Intensive Schools; Library postage and parking subsidies for off campus students.

Like this Article? Share it!

About The Author

6 Responses to STUDENT SERVICES AND AMENITIES FEE: Student feedback sought; details of expenditure; services on offer for 2014-15

1. Dyllon says:

So, Externals don’t pay amenities fee’s, and internals fork out for externals intensives?

• Yasmin says:

Dyllon, I DO understand where you’re coming from, but think for a second…

I live in far north QLD. My degree will never require me to attend an intensive and I will never need to visit campus. I prefer to avoid the library (and postal services) as well, as I would rather purchase my textbooks to keep for future reference. I prefer to purchase my textbooks by other means because I find the bookshop to be far too expensive…

Why should I, and other like myself, pay for your on-campus expenses?

Just saying.

• Di says:

I think the point is that externals have been paying this fee for 2 years now, with benefits to externals being VERY limited. It appears that amenities for 2014-2015 are being provided from funds already collected and therefore externals should be considered at least for 2014. It should not be forgotten that externals make up the bulk of the cohort (about 75%, I believe) and some will never set foot on campus to avail themselves of any benefits. It cuts both ways Dyllon. I have heard that internals were supplied breakfast during the last exams. I have to drive 45 kms very early in the morning for the privilege of sitting an exam here, at my own expense, with no mollycoddling required (especially funded by fees that I have paid for internals to utilise).

2. ED says:

Make sure you supply that feedback via the contact details above Dyllon.

Ed – Student Support Team

3. Fred says:

IMHO as an external student myself I believe the best option is the ‘pay when needed’ approach mainly because I don’t know what the requirements are for on-campus students but for me and I cannot speak for my fellow external counterparts, I’ll be glad to pay should I require the service or need the use of the campus amenities.

Regards,

Fred