SCHOLARSHIP: Veterans children’s assistance trust; 2012

Published On June 3, 2011 | By Blake | News

Di from the scholarships team just sent through some info on a few scholarships from the Australian Veterans Children’s Trust, here are the details:

The Australian Veterans’ Children Assistance Trust (AVCAT) gives financial assistance to help selected children & grandchildren of the Australian Ex-Service Community with the costs of tertiary education. Selection is of the most deserving candidates of merit, who, without our help, would be unable to start or complete studies without financial difficulty. Applicants are considered for all schemes for which they are eligible.

Long Tan Bursary:

The largest scheme is the Long Tan Bursary funded by the Australian Government.   Each year there are 50 new bursaries valued at $9,000 each, which is paid at  $3,000 per year for three years.  To be eligible you must be:  the child of an Australian Vietnam Veteran, be resident in Australia, be enrolled or planning to enrol in any year of tertiary study having not previously received a Long Tan Bursary.

Other  Scholarships:

The other national schemes are the AVCAT Bursary, the RSL Scholarship, Vietnam Veterans’ Peacekeepers and Peacemakers Scholarship, Legacy Australia Scholarship and the George Quinsey Scholarship – which directly pays tuition fees for economics, commerce and accountancy studies.

There are also regional scholarships.  In NSW, there is the Brisbane Water Legacy Scholarship covering Gosford/Wyong NSW and the NSW TPI Association Scholarship.  In SA, the VVAA also offers a Scholarship.  There are also some private donors offering scholarships to NSW resident applicants.

Schemes vary between $3,000 and $5,000 per year each. Some are restricted to location of residence or studies. Most require operational service in Vietnam but others are broader in eligibility criteria.  In addition to the above there is one grant per year to assist a handicapped eligible veteran’s child or grandchild with special extra costs of transition to tertiary studies or employment.

To apply you must be:
a.   Within the means test,  i.e. eligible on assets and income grounds for the Youth Allowance benefit for full time
b.  Enrolled, or planning to enrol in a full-time course of tertiary education in Australia by attendance at a university,
TAFE or college.  The course must be of one or more academic years in length and should be at undergraduate
level (some exceptions).
c.   The child or grandchild of a person who has operational service with the Australian Navy, Army or Air
Force, or three or more year’s continuous full-time service as a member of the Australian Defence Force.
d.  Under the age of 25 when applying, unless exceptional circumstances related to veteran’s service exist.

To receive an application form, register your interest on 1800 620 361, or by email: or download from our website at:

Applications close on 31 October, 2011

Like this Article? Share it!

About The Author

One Response to SCHOLARSHIP: Veterans children’s assistance trust; 2012

  1. commercial real estate classifications on the internet have been very helpful but I ponder if it is really much easier.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *