FEEDBACK: How was your Intensive School?

Published On April 13, 2010 | By ED | Intensive Schools

If you’ve just finished an Intensive School, how was it? What would you have liked to have known before you arrived? Got some gripes, things we should improve on?  Let us know via comments so we can fix things for next time!

Like this Article? Share it!

About The Author

6 Responses to FEEDBACK: How was your Intensive School?

1. Kristyn says:

Hi there,

What would be really nice, if the bathrooms in the college could have a sign on them “Bathroom”. The only reason I found the bathroom was because I finally realised it was the only door without a students name it.

2. Lauren says:

Hey Kristyn,
    That’s terrible! I certainly hope they do something about that before next intensive school.
    C’mon people, it’s a health and safety issue obviously. You can’t not have toilets and bathrooms signposted, not unless you intend for something bad to possibly happen.
    Not having things apporpriately signposted is rediculous – especiall considering how many people from out of town visit the uni during these times.
    A little common sense should prevail, surely…

3. charlie begg says:

Hi all

I was in Duval coolege [D block]- I can understand how hard it would be if you don’t know how to identify a bathroom door from the outside. Sometimes they have a sheet of metal bolted onto the door, where they think you would push- about where the door handle would be, or a lower section is cut out so that the steem can get out.

Next reschool I will email my college to find out if we need to bring a doona, doona cover, thats the last time I take thongs to a reschool- I didn’t need them.

I would have appreciated info on opening and closing times of the dinning room being put on the dining room entry doors especially for saturday / sunday mornings – when I didn’t have a reschool.

other that, all was good

cebegg

4. Joann says:

Hi Ed,

Being a bit of a veteran (15 res schools to date), I would like to say that I think it is WONDERFUL that social events are being held during the residential school period for off campus students to attend. I mentioned last week’s get together to a few people attending my res, but they had no idea anything was on. Maybe info such as this should be emailed out pre holiday break? I’ve also directed many people to this site for updates, again, many had no idea this was here… maybe a PR email could do the rounds?

The only thing I had an issue with this time around was the (new – well at least for me) setup at Duval + Drummond & Smith dining halls with pay-per-meal, rather than having it included in the accommodation price. It was very cumbersome, having to carry cash to every meal, wait and wait and wait, people walking around balancing plates, wallets and cups of hot coffee (eek), wait some more then finally eating a meal gone cold or soggy, usually in a hurry. And I felt pretty sorry for the catering staff who had to endure all of this too. Is there some recourse to making available (or us off campus people aware of) the process of obtaining a meal card or such before we arrive?

On a very positive note though, I want to thank D&S college, and the very helpful on campus students there who took on the task of guiding short term residents to their rooms and showing them where computers, laundry etc were located. You guys did a *fantastic* job, it really helps first timers get a handle on things and settle in without feeling stupid. Top job!

Jo.