Many great men have worn a moustache, Magnum PI, Goose from Top Gun and Officer Rod Farva from Super Troopers are just a few.  Even our own COO Peter Creamer has a great Mo.

However I am not one of these great men and I do not look good with a Mo! Not only do I look extremely shady but feel ridiculous when I don’t shave every day!

But I am a man who is prepared to look shady and ridiculous to create awareness and discussion about men’s health and that’s why I am growing a Mo for Movember. Men’s health, particularly mental health, is something that I am very passionate about. I hope that my questionable appearance over the next few weeks will provide people who see me around, the opportunity to think about men’s mental health while they poke some fun at me!

My mental health is something that I closely monitor each day, after spending over 13 years as a NSW Police Officer and being exposed to some pretty horrible things, I developed PTSD, depression and anxiety from the job and this caused me to finally leave a career that I loved and still love. I am very aware of the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle and ensuring that stress and pressures from work and life don’t get out of hand.

I first grew a Mo for Movember in 2005 for a laugh and this year I have done it again not only for the cause itself but to lift my own spirits after recently having a former work friend from the police and a good school friend tragically die by suicide. So no pressure to donate but if you do the link is below, but if you see me around please feel free to laugh at my shady appearance but spend a few moments to reflect on men’s mental health.

Donate here.

Darren Stevenson
Work Health & Safety Manager