I’m Dr Kylie Lingard. Because of my work at the Australian Centre for Agriculture and Law (2006 – 2016), I secured a permanent academic position at the University of Wollongong in 2017. I am now a Senior Lecturer.

Under the mentorship and supervision of Professor Paul Martin, I completed my Honours project on the duty to consult Aboriginal people before destroying cultural heritage (2006 – 2011), a PhD on strategies to support the interests of First Nations people in the commercialisation of native plants (2012 – 2015), and postdoctoral research on community engagement in invasive species governance (2015 – 2016). These issues remain topical and unresolved, for example, as shown by the destruction of cultural heritage at the Juukan Gorges in WA in 2020.

My publication record at the end of these experiences embodied the commitment of the Australian Centre for Agriculture and Law to transforming academic findings into plain English tools to share with government, research partners and community. Examples include the transformation of academic articles into policy briefs, industry reports and community toolkits. This community-centred philosophy of the Australian Centre for Agriculture and Law remains the primary driver of my research, teaching and service work. My latest work looks at cultural heritage law reform proposals in NSW and the role of law schools in better supporting First Nation law students.