Written by Julia Day

Libby grew up in Tamworth where she attended McCarthy Catholic College. She was initially thinking of a career in health, but a habit of fainting at the sight of blood led her to pursue a career in law. Libby stated ‘I received a place at #UNELaw through the Early Entry scheme- so I was fortunate to know I had a place at university before results were released. It wasn’t until I got to university that I really learned how to study well and I tried to embrace as much of what UNE had to offer as I could.’

Libby excelled at university and received academic and extra-curricular scholarships as a result of her achievements. She has since enrolled in further studies, and is currently completing a Master of Laws (Applied Law) in Business Law. Furthermore, in 2019 Libby was awarded the Quality Business Awards Outstanding Young Employee Award for Tamworth and also went on to be the NSW Business Chamber Regional Winner.

2021 really is ‘the year of Libby.’ Libby is celebrating her 30th birthday shortly and she is also getting married later on this year. The day that Libby got engaged to math’s teacher Nick is every girls’ dream!! On Christmas Eve 2019 the couple were in London and started off the day shopping at Harrods followed by High Tea adjacent to Buckingham Palace. They then attended the Lion King musical on the West End before going ice skating. Apparently, Nick and Libby always purchase the Lonely Planet guides when travelling. During an ice-skating break, Nick gifted Libby the ‘Lonely Planet Guide to Planning a Honeymoon.’ He then went down on one knee and proposed. Obviously, his timing was impeccable as just a few months later the world went into lockdown and overseas borders were shut as a result of the Covid 19 pandemic.  

Libby lived at UNE’s Duval College whilst completing her law degree. As often happens, the people Libby met in college are still her close friends. In particular, Libby mentions #UNELaw alumni Chanel Beesley (née Moss), Megan Stoneman (née Raines), Julia Tut and Rebecca Atherton who are still great mates. This group will all be attending Libby’s celebratory events this year.

Whilst studying at UNE, Libby’s favourite subjects were Tort Law (with guess who??), Medico-Legal Issues with Aileen Kennedy, Succession law with Paul Sattler and Family Law with Professor Brian Simpson. In this regard she remembers Aileen’s comedic choice of names in exams- ie Homer Simpson- and Paul Sattler referring to ‘war stories’ from when he was in legal practice. 

When I asked Libby about her current role as a solicitor at Everingham Solomons, she was very complimentary about her boss Mark Grady- ‘he is the loveliest man and a wonderful mentor!’ She is, however, candid about the immense amount of paperwork which she finds on her desk. ‘As I do a lot of work relating to workers’ compensation, there are extensive clinical notes and expert reports that I need to read and understand.’

When asked what advice she would give law students who want to work in legal practice Libby notes ‘I wish I had approached law firms earlier whilst still studying in order to start paralegal work. Good paralegals are in really high demand and it is an excellent training ground for law students. I would encourage current law students to pursue paralegal positions in law firms when possible.’

Libby fully appreciates the essence of hard work. Whilst she was completing her undergraduate degrees, she worked in Tamworth and Armidale, and in her final year of study at UNE she commenced full time work as a Legal Assistant. She notes this experience was an excellent training ground for her work as a solicitor. ‘I learnt about client management and it helped develop my communication skills.’

Libby’s family at her graduation

Recently Libby and her family decided they wanted to help give others the opportunity to enjoy the rich experience Libby and her siblings had at UNE. They therefore established the Campbell Family Scholarship through Duval College. This scholarship is available to students studying business or law who live at Duval College at UNE. The scholarship is specifically set up for students from regional or remote areas who have a strong interest and/or involvement in community and extra-curricular activities.

Thank you, Libby, for sharing your story. We hope you find all the joy you deserve with your impending nuptials!!