Written by Julia Day

In some ways Jessica Jones (Jess) is your typical #UNELaw student. She is female and a mum and is hoping to pivot into a new career after completing her law degree. Before having kids, Jess was a primary teacher and then a secretary for a barrister for a short period of time. When you meet Jess though, you soon realise she is anything but typical!!

Jess with her four kids

Jess is now a mum to four kids- three of whom have been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Jess is using her extensive knowledge of ASD whilst undertaking ‘Contemporary Health Law’ with Aileen Kennedy. She is investigating euthanasia issues through the lens of an autistic person. Jess also hopes to pursue these interests upon graduation- ‘I want to find a position in disability advocacy where I can affect the most change without compromising myself and my ideals.’

Jess’s law study has already come in handy-especially when interacting with NDIS providers. She notes ‘dealing with all my kids support services is like a full-time job. I need to be very organised and have a very detailed colour coded calendar so I don’t forget anything.’

Jess mooting

Jess recently completed her mooting experience as part of the iconic LAW480 course. She noted- ‘when I walked into the moot court I exhibited a deer in the headlights look of fear!’ Luckily for Jess she prepared well and was able to answer the questions from the bench with confidence. She noted- ‘even though I love researching and studying, I feel uncomfortable speaking in public. Even contributing publicly in tutorials, creates anxiety for me.’ Jess has been diagnosed with a neurological disorder where when she is stressed or anxious her face goes numb and she has trouble talking. Jess didn’t let this stop her when completing her moot though. In fact, she worked with her psychologist to practice techniques to cope with the mooting experience. When her moot was finished, she felt ‘relieved and euphoric! All the nervous energy translated into a natural high!’

Jess had completed Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) with Paul Akon in the past, so was already a fan of the popular lecturer. In fact, she notes that ‘ADR along with Torts and Advanced Criminal Law’ were her favourite subjects whilst completing her law degree. Even though she has found some parts of the law degree challenging, she later realised how worthwhile and relevant even these most difficult aspects are.

Jess with her partner

Jess had a lovely time during her visit to Armidale. She needed to get back home though as it was her youngest child’s 5th birthday. Her very supportive husband, who is a fitter and turner with Paul’s Milk was holding down the fort whilst she was away. Apparently, Jess’s husband likes to cook ‘Masterchef worthy’ meals for Jess and her family. Funnily enough though her youngest child- Sadie- has chosen ‘Hungry Jacks’ for her birthday dinner!

Sadie’s birthday cake!

Whilst we were chatting, Jess also reflected on how different it is to study when having kids and other responsibilities. ‘When I did my first degree and I had an assessment due, I could just lock myself in the library in the days before the due date. Now I have to fit all my study obligations around post school meltdowns, dinner times and bed times.’ Jess’s kids aren’t really sure why mum decided to study law. They know their mum ‘likes to argue’ so perhaps this is the reason for her study!?! 

Thank you Jess for sharing your beautiful story with us!