Dylan’s story is one common to many of our law graduates at UNE. Instead of following the legal practice path, he decided to use his law degree to pursue other job opportunities in a variety of sectors. Since completing his law degree in 2004 Dylan hasn’t looked back. ‘My #UNELaw degree has opened a lot of doors for me. It taught me to be objective and analytical. I also learnt to write in a concise yet professional way.’

Even before he graduated with his law degree, Dylan was offered a job as a Political Lobbyist for Consulting Engineers Australia. Within this role his law degree was invaluable in helping understand the significance of any proposed legislative and regulatory changes upon the engineering industry. This allowed him to confidently negotiate with senior politicians to win concessions on behalf of the industry.

After 4 years, Dylan was head hunted by a large Aboriginal NGO and later by the Peak Body for Disabilities. After 5 years working in these roles, Dylan decided to move to Growing Potential which is a not for profit community organisation. He is currently the Executive General Manager of Growing Potential. The tasks he performs in any given week are as diverse as- meeting with senior members of government to helping dig a garden with an Aboriginal elders group! What he likes most about his current role is that he can assist people who are disadvantaged and vulnerable. ‘I love where my law degree has taken me. Essentially I am able to earn a living by helping people!’

In terms of the secrets to his success Dylan notes ‘it is important to have confidence in what you have learned, and a willingness to apply this knowledge in practical ways. It is this confidence in my knowledge base which makes me to feel comfortable when negotiating with senior industry professionals and politicians. For example my skills allow me to implement multi-million dollar projects to deliver outcomes for some of Australia’s most disadvantaged people.’

If you would like to learn more about Dylan’s story click here for tickets