Written by Julia Day

Earlier this year, Shona realised she wanted to ‘add some sparkle’ to her CV, in order to make her as competitive as possible when she finishes her law degree in a few years’ time. She got to work and completely overhauled her old CV. She focused on how her skills as a medical professional could be transferred to a legal setting. Her hard work paid off and she was successful in gaining a position at the Aboriginal Legal Service in the area of Child Protection at the Parramatta office.

Shona is loving her new job- ‘I have been really immersing myself in the experience. It is helping me understand procedure and also the language that lawyers use. My essay writing has definitely improved and I have learnt to write more succinctly and directly.’

Shona is a single mum with two kids- Taylor and Grace who are 9 and 6 years old. All mums try to be a good role model to their kids. Shona decided the best way to achieve this was by enrolling in a law degree. She did and the rest as they say is history!! Shona chose #UNELaw because of the flexibility of the course- she can fit her study around her busy life. Shona notes ‘I have never felt isolated and I can have as much or as little student contact as suits me. I met a group of girls that I now study with at the LAW101 Intensive School at UNE Sydney. We are great mates and they have become both my support group and part of my community.’

Shona has been employed as a clinical practising nurse for the past 15 years- she predominantly works in operating theatres. Her professional job piqued her interest in medical law and patient advocacy. She is also fascinated by bioethics and the continuing euthanasia debate. Of course when I spoke to her I encouraged her to do UNE Law School’s suite of medical law units!!

So far Shona’s favourite subjects have been Criminal law (with Michelle Edgeley) and Torts (with Professor Mark Lunney and yours truly!!!). Due to her professional background she is really looking forward to completing Medico-Legal Issues and Law and Neuroscience.

In order to keep fit, Shona participates in a barre class which is a hybrid of Pilates and ballet. She also enjoys tending her succulent garden. Shona likes succulents, as even though they all have individual characters they are robust, strong and sturdy- a bit like mums all over the world really!!

Congratulations Shona on your success!!