Written by Julia Day

I have never felt so proud to be part of the UNE School of Law as I was when attending the recent 25th Anniversary Dinner. We hosted over 100 guests- including legal practitioners, accountants, students, alumni, UNE staff, past staff, community members and even our local Magistrate. 

Dr Kip Werren, Phil Hess, Paul Williams, Jason Simmonds and Robert French

Paul Sattler, Robert French, Julia Day and Paul Akon at Julia's vegetable garden

Paul Sattler, Robert French, Julia Day and Paul Akon at Julia’s vegetable garden

I was lucky enough to spend time with Mr Robert French before the dinner. As we share the mutual interest of vegetable gardening, Paul Akon organised for Mr French to visit my garden. I will be honest, I was extremely nervous welcoming a previous Chief Justice of the High Court to my imperfect garden and house. I shouldn’t have been worried though. Mr French was one of the most delightful people I have ever met. He is incredibly articulate and has an extensive knowledge of a wide variety of subjects- especially science. He is also warm and kind. Instead of feeling intimidated in his presence he made you feel comfortable and secure.

My six year old, Alexander, joined us for morning tea and we spoke about what a judge does. Alex had told me the previous night –‘A judge is someone who decides who wins and loses and then gives a trophy to the winner.’ Alex was a tad disappointed that Mr French did not have a trophy to give to him…

The dinner itself was fantastic. The weather was overcast, but the energy and excitement in the crowd was anything but. Alumni were thrilled to be catching up with old friends from their university days. Current students were excited to learn of the history of the UNE School of Law. Past staff members such as Professor Eilis Magner, Dr Peter Hemphill, Professor Bob Hughes and Fran Wright were celebrated. The crowd were also inspired to learn more about the Pape case from Robert French who incidentally was the Chief Justice of the High Court when the case was being heard. Mr French spoke about the significance of the case and the respect he had for Bryan as a person and litigant. He did note the irony of Bryan’s attempts to stop a payment which would have personally benefitted him though.

James Harris and Robert French

UNE Chancellor James Harris and Robert French

Associate Professor Michael Eburn entertained the crowds with tales of the turbulence of the beginning of the School of Law. He also spoke of the quality of the experience students have at the UNE School of Law. I could be wrong, but I think I saw tears in Michael’s eyes when he was reflecting on his time at the School of Law.

Professor Mark Perry cutting the Anniversary cake

Associate Professor Amanda Kennedy was an exceptionally capable Master of Ceremonies. She spoke of her 21 years at the UNE School of Law, as an undergraduate and postgraduate student and as a staff member. She was witty, articulate and interesting.

Nola Holmes and Michael Holmes

Nola Holmes and Magistrate Michael Holmes

After the formalities were over, old friends caught up, new friendships were forged and all spoke about how significant the UNE School of Law continues to be to their lives.

The UNE School of Law is an extremely special place and it was wonderful to celebrate it and relish in its success.

Photo Credit- Caitlin Picker