As a psychology student I’ve been aware of the increasingly competitive postgraduate environment, and wondering how I might differentiate myself from other candidates in a meaningful and constructive way.

University colleagues suggested volunteering with Lifeline, a national charity providing 24-hour crisis support via telephone and online. Considering my existing family, work and study commitments I applied for the online support program, where both training and ongoing volunteer shifts are completed from home, and communication with help seekers occurs via Lifeline’s online messaging service.

Lifeline offers a 12-week training program for volunteers to become an Online Crisis Supporter, followed by a four-week training placement. The program provides information and skill-based components, and the support of a Team Leader who offers feedback and suggestions throughout. The program offers practical skills in relationship building and safety planning that will be invaluable for my future career. Lifeline also has a real focus on self-care, with practical and emotional support available whenever you need it. Volunteers typically complete one four hour shift per week, and can choose from a variety of day and evening shifts to suit.

People contact Lifeline for a variety of reasons. In a typical four hour shift I’ve corresponded with children through to adults about relationships, work, bullying, substance abuse, and quite often very personal, traumatic experiences. Lifeline’s key goal is suicide prevention, and as such callers may be experiencing suicidal thoughts, may have self-harmed, or have taken steps to end their life. Volunteering for Lifeline is challenging, and at times confronting. However, it’s also incredibly rewarding, knowing that you have taken time out to offer support through a dark period in someone else’s life.

I’ve now been volunteering for Lifeline for 6 months. To date the biggest challenge I’ve experienced is the lack of closure at the end of some interactions, as help seekers can disconnect at any time and you may be unsure if they are safe and able to access assistance. Working through any residual concerns about these calls with a supervisor, and ensuring I take some time for self-care at the end of a shift, has been essential.

The skills I’m able to work on through this opportunity have been varied. Interactions have required me to quickly build rapport in a crisis situation, and to tailor my communication style to the help seeker, considering their age, skills and style. My most significant learning to date has been the variety of people who contact Lifeline, and the breadth of issues help seekers may be experiencing. I’m personally finding this a great insight into the type of work and the support I’d like to offer in my future career.

If you’re considering volunteer work to contribute to your community and build skills for a future in psychology, Lifeline Crisis Support is a great opportunity.

Photo by Hannah Wei on Unsplash