I work as a practice manager/receptionist at a private practice psychology clinic. I have been doing this job while I complete my honours degree and head into my master’s in clinical psychology. This job has provided me with great learning lessons and experiences I never would have received elsewhere. Not only have I learnt a great deal about how to run a private practice, but I have utilised and developed a range of psychological principles in my role.

Working as the solo receptionist means I interact with the clients quite regularly. A psychological principle I have learnt to incorporate into my role is the ability to be warm yet assertive in my communication. I act with warmness and kindness when communicating with the clients, but I also must be sure to also communicate assertively and create boundaries, much like the boundaries needed in a therapeutic relationship. For example, when communicating with clients around cancellations and rescheduling of appointments, I communicate in a warm tone so that they feel supported and listened to. I also, however, must make sure I am being assertive in the way I communicate that clients are unable to make last minute cancellations without an emergency, and that they must prioritise their scheduled appointments.

Another psychological principle I have learnt over the course of my training, and through the interaction with the health practitioners I manage, is setting a model of supportiveness and calmness. As clients are coming in for a range of different issues, most not being of the positive nature, I make sure to act calm and positive in all my interactions so that the clients feel supported and safe. For example, I welcome everyone warmly when they enter the clinic, with a smile and a soft tone of medium volume. I also make small easy talking conversations, such as the weather or recent events in the media. I have found this allows me to interact with the clients in an easy way that does not make them feel overwhelmed and does not increase their anxiety about attending their appointment.

Additionally, I make a habit of putting through payments and answering any appointment questions they may have before they head into their appointment. That way they can leave directly after the appointment and don’t have to feel anxious about communicating after a possibly anxiety provoking situation. If they do approach reception after their appointment, I continue to set this model of calmness and supportiveness by smiling and being sure to communicate positively and softly. By doing this, I can show the client empathy, if they are visually upset after their appointment, but also set a sense of normalcy for their behaviours that does not make them feel out of place if they are visually upset.

Additionally, I use praise and develop rapport in my role with practitioners, referrers, and clients. When clients respond to queries/emails in a timely fashion I make sure to say thank you. When clients are honest with me about the reason for needing appointments, I thank them for trusting me with the information and develop rapport by instilling a sense of importance in their attendance to the clinic. When clients drop off or become ambivalent, I reach out and confirm that they are welcome in our clinic. I also act this way with both practitioners and our referrers. This helps to instil rapport with local doctor’s clinics, and referrers (such as GP’s, psychiatrists, etc.), as well as the practitioners I work for. I have found this very beneficial in being able to develop a trusting relationship with the people in my workplace, which has allowed me to learn even more about their own individual therapeutic practices and experiences.

Photo by True Agency on Unsplash