The 25th April commemorates Anzac day in Australia and for many would normally start with attendance at a dawn service to remember the sacrifices that were made over 100 years ago and the freedoms we now enjoy.

The skyline Dawn, April 25th 2020

The skyline at home, April 25th, 2020

Comparisons, compassion and collaboration

I wanted to briefly reflect on Gallipoli and the modern sacrifices that are being asked of all of us today as we face a different kind of global menace in Covid19. Many of you will know that I am not an Australian, not yet anyway, and that I struggle with early mornings. Too many summers picking fruit or working nights have resulted in me being quite happy to sleep through the dawn. However, there is rarely a week goes by when I do not reflect on those beaches in Turkey and the loss of life that occurred there.

Family connections

This is because I can’t avoid it. I am named after my Great Grandfather, Oliver Burnett. He went ashore at Gallipoli on Saturday the 8th May 1915 with the Army service corps and 131 mules. He left Gallipoli on the 6th January 1916 in a 23’ raft with seven other men. His diary for this period starts with tales of the animals and their fate, but the loss of human life quickly becomes apparent. An entry for June 6th mentions, ‘1 captain & 2 men left out of 50 men’ and while he praises the actions of the 4th Royal Scots on the 26th June, he noted ‘only 119 of 4th Royal Scots left’ on the 16th July. The message that the diary delivers, is that loss of life, no matter whose, has a powerful effect on those that bear witness to it and should encourage us all to take measures to avoid death where ever possible.

My family also have connections to the Anzacs. The half-brothers of my Grandfather, the man Oliver’s daughter would later marry, were Anzacs. Henry died in France, aged 22. George made it home and his family still lives in Western Australia. Often my thoughts drift to the actions of these men that I never knew and the hardships endured on the beaches of Gallipoli, so vividly captured in Oliver’s diary.

George and Harry as young men in the years prior to the war.

Whilst Anzac day commemorates the landing at Gallipoli, we should also remember that the Anzacs came about by the uniting of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. The legacy of this union is well known throughout Australia and it is worth taking a moment to reflect that we are often stronger together. Whilst social distancing makes this physically hard to undertake at this time, a united movement is what is required if we are to remain on top of the Covid pandemic.

Words, remembrance and action

The words die and death are confronting and this is perhaps why we sometimes hear about the number of soldiers who fell in battle, but I think there is an important difference. Dying is final, at least for our earthly body, whereas when we fall we generally get back up. Covid, just like war, is killing people. It is causing death and if we can take action to stop this then surely we have a responsibility to do so?

Dylan provides accompaniment to the driveway services

So this Anzac day, I made my way down the driveway and commemorated the memories of those that gave so much. It was lovely to see so many of our neighbours also out and although we kept our distance we were united. We observed social distancing rules and reflected on how we are all being called upon at this time to give a little to protect the future for many and, above all else, lives be saved. Stay safe, stay well and stay alive.