2015, Volume 18, Paper 109
ISSN: 1442-6951

The Economics of the Red Meat Industry: A Value Chain Value Chain Value Chain Value Chain Perspective Perspective Perspective

Garry Griffith – Professorial Research Fellow, UNE Business School, University of New England, Armidale NSW

Euan Fleming – Emeritus Professor, UNE Business School, University of New England, Armidale NSW

Stuart Mounter –  Senior Lecturer, UNE Business School, University of New England, Armidale NSW

A revision of an Invited presentation by Garry Griffith at the UWA Institute of Agriculture 2015 Industry Forum “Where are we heading with the red meat industry?”, The University of Western Australia, Crawley WA, July 9. We acknowledge the inputs of Derek Baker to the development of the concepts outlined in this paper.

Introduction

Today I have been allocated 20 minutes or so to discuss the “Economics of the red meat industry”. No small task. I thought about reporting the results of different analyses I have done in relation to beef production systems, marketing margins, or large industry-level models. But, given that we have already had an excellent overview of domestic and overseas markets from MLA, and detailed analyses from the processor and producer perspectives, I thought that I might try something a little different and make some suggestions about how the whole industry might improve future performance.

Download the full PDF version here.