Does having children make a person more happy or less happy?

by | Feb 10, 2014 | Uncategorized | 6 comments

Jennifer Senior has written a book about the lives of parents, and I recently read a review of the book in the Washington Post. The review indicates that research suggests parenting either has no effect overall on enjoyment of life or decreases it. I can see both potentials. On the down side, parenting often leads to loss of sleep and loss of autonomy/carefree life, and it often leads to a lot of work, with a great deal of conflict-related and other stressors. On the up side, parenting can add meaning to life, it often provides powerful experiences (like going on a very long adventure trip), it can create strong bonds (family bonds), and it can satisfy our genes, which want to live on (read “The Selfish Gene,” a great book).

Of course, different children can create different effects for parents, and parents can vary in how they experience parenthood. Chance factors play a role. For instance, losing a child to disease or injury is one of the most stressful experiences a person can have, according to research studies.

It seems that the effects of having children depend — on us, the children, chance factors, and lots of other situational factors, such as the nature of the other parent and the social situation in which one lives. I am glad that most individuals can choose whether to have children.

What do you think are the most likely effects of parenthood?

John Malouff, PhD, JD, Assoc Prof of Psychology

6 Comments

1. Kids! I’m sure it is individual and context dependent, so it seems almost trite to say what I have learned from mine, but I have. One has taught me to live every day fully (since she is profoundly disabled and terminally ill, but she doesn’t know that!); one to expect the unexpected (99th percentile gifted seemed to explain his uniqueness, until the Dalai Lama recognised him as a reincarnated lama). The next two, aimed for somewhere in the middle, and they seem to have a knack of bringing out the best and worst in me, which enhances self-esteem, and encourages personal growth. My vote goes to children bringing life enhancement. Who cares about the abandoned career path to be a carer (it was fleeting anyway), the lack of sleep (long in the past now), the autonomy (they all encourage me to follow my passions). I wouldn’t have it any other way, but I’m a “glass half-full” kind of guy.

2. Hi MS. Parents get very attached to their children!

3. Would have to think that a large part of it is also how badly a parent wanted to be a parent. For those who were unsure or who had children without really planning, it could be that parenthood came with many costs they did not expect — or that they did expect and the negatives came true. For others, parenthood might have been a longtime dream, or even something that came with much hardship such as through adoption or after many years of trying. These types of factors would most likely play a role in how parents adjust to having children.

4. Hi AK. I agree that goals and expectations play a big role in the effects of having children.

5. Who cares about the abandoned career path to be a carer (it was fleeting anyway), the lack of sleep (long in the past now), the autonomy (they all encourage me to follow my passions)

6. Hi Konya. You seem like a contented parent. The costs and the rewards of parenting are substantial.

Submit a Comment