Self-Development

by | Nov 15, 2010 | Uncategorized | 5 comments

Let’s move to a different realm of applied psychology, self-development. When I teach Behavior Modification, I always carry out a behavior change project at the same time my students are doing one. For my project this year, I set a goal several of running 5 kms in under 30 minutes. I had never run nearly that far before at any speed. Yesterday I achieved my goal, and I felt good the whole way. Several elements of my intervention helped me. These elements illustrate sound self-improvement methods:

1. I set a measurable ultimate goal.
2. I set subgoals that called for gradual improvement (running 0.2 kms farther each week at 10.1 kms per hr on a treadmill).
3. I made the running as much fun as possible by listening to music while I ran (the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar), running with a great view of a green space, and sometimes watching a virtual run thru Chicago on my treadmill screen (Chicago is a great town to visit).
4. I minimized unpleasant aspects of the task by running indoors out of the sun and by wearing quality socks and shoes and light, loose clothes.
5. I gained social support by telling others about my goal and weekly accomplishments and thereby garnering social support.
6. I kept track of my running distance every time I ran so that I could tell how I was doing.
7. I gave myself credit each time I reached a subgoal.
8. I will continue trying to increase my running performance by gradually running at a faster rate.

I avoided classic errors, such as setting an unrealistic goal, trying to do too much, too soon, and using only willpower to try to make progress.

What is my payoff for achieving my goal? In the short run, satisfaction and perhaps better sports performance and more ability to avoid injuries. In the long run, according to research, for every hour of exercise I put out, I will get an extra hour of healthy life. Not a bad deal!

Who will contribute another story of psychological principles used to achieve self-development?

John Malouff, Associate Professor of Psychology

1. I have been working toward another goal over the last six months and I am still on the journey.

In July this year I turned the same age as my mum when she died at a relatively young age of bowel cancer. It was a momentus time in my life and very difficult to believe I was in the same age body as mum when she died.

At the time I was heavier than I had ever been and beginning to feel that I needed to do something so my own health did not become compromised. To begin with I sought the help of a wonderful naturopath who assessed my current health and weight and established where my ‘ideal’ goal could be.

During this six months I have :-
    1. changed my eating habits to the point where I am not interested in the foods that were causing me to put on weight .
    2. Enjoyed more exercise, particularly outdoors and with my husband or friends.
    3. Shared my progress with others which has motivated not only myself but some of them.
    4. Been through my wardrobe recently and had the joy of not only putting aside clothes that are too big now but have enjoyed buying new clothes in a smaller size.
    5. With regular monthly visits to my naturopath I have had my progress monitored. She has added supplements to my diet which have given me so much more energy for living.

I have lost 7 kilograms since I started this journey. I still have about 5 kilograms to get to my ideal weight and BMI. The greatest gift is energy and good health. It has been a slow and steady progress with realistic short term goals so I looking forward to achieving and maintaining my ‘ideal’ during 2011.

Jan Smith

2. Hi Jan. You have made important changes! Diet is very important to health — how did you change your eating habits?

John

3. Hi John,

To begin with it was important to have structured guidance on what to eat. With my naturopath I received a pretty prescriptive guide on eating. For example, exact portions of protein that could be weighed on a kitchen scale. Coupled with this were servings of fruit or vegetables. I discontinued eating bread, pasta, rice and potato with meals. I also have a pretty ‘set’ breakfast that my body is used to starting the day with (a small amount of muesli, natural yoghurt and berries).

Monitoring health and weight loss with the naturopath on a monthly basis meant I had someone else supporting my changes. She championed eached step of the way, not only the weight lost but measuring fat reduction and cell health. I also have a supportive spouse who was happy to have larger portions of the same meals as me which made meal preparation easier.

Initially I used a food diary of my daily intake. This really helped establish the eating habit. After a while it was fairly second nature. Now I find I stick to the plan most of the time, occassionally adding a treat to indulge.
    The benefits of now having lost a good deal of weight are powerful motivators to avoid over eating and allow me to keep on track.

Getting through the festive season is the next challenge. Luckily it is summertime and more motivating to get out and exercise.

Jan

4. Hi Jan. You used good problem-solving methods. You (1) consulted an expert, (2) developed a realistic goal and a detailed, sensible plan, (3) carried out the plan, (4) obtained social support from others, (5) self-monitored a crucial behaviour, involving food intake, (6) noted improvements in your weight, and (7) persisted. That is an effective package!

John

5. Hi John,

Interesting article and great advice on goal setting. Jan, as a naturopath, it is also very encouraging to hear of someone getting great results from their eating plan.

Leisa