NEW STUDENT?: The BIG list of things to take to college!
We originally published this list around this time last year but it still looks pretty relevant in 2012!
If you’re starting to think about what to pack and what you might need if you’re going to be living in College in 2012, here’s a great place to start, a pretty comprehensive checklist of things you’ll need once you arrive for Orientation …. if you’re a returning student and can think of anything else, let us know via comments.
Farrah’s Big List of Things to bring to College:
- Laptop / Desktop Computer
- Washing basket (if it’s totally enclosed, no holes, you can throw ice and drinks in it on a hot day.)
- Washing powder/liquid
- Clothes Horse (maybe one that can hook over the back of your door.)
- Towels (At least 2, and don’t forget that there is a pool at UNE.)
- Bandaids and Panadol (but Senior College members will have First Aid kits and First Aid training.)
- Posters to decorate your room
- A plant
- Costumes (silly hats, tutus, paint, stickers, anything creative for all of the dress up functions
- Formal outfits, dresses – long and short, suits, formal shoes etc
- Plastic cups, plates, bowls and some cutlery for late night milo and 2 minute noodles
- Tea/coffee/milo/noodles (or buy it when you get here.)
- Warm Clothes! Armidale is in the mountains, it can get quite chilly (even in the summer.)
- Sports gear like joggers, tennis racket, swimmers, hat, football boots etc (you may play sport for the college.)
- Musical Instrument (many colleges have a padded, lockable music room.)
- Arty stuff (bring along anything creative and enter it into the intercollegiate cultural competition, e.g. Art, short stories, poetry, photography etc.)
- Study equipment (such as school pencil-case, exercise books, folders (one for each unit), post-it note pads, highlighters etc.)
- Bike (most colleges have a lockable bike shed.)
- Storage tubs for those who like to keep their rooms tidy
You can also bring along a range of things to make your room feel more like home, including:
- Mini fridge
- Dvd player
- Fairy lights
- Extension cord
- Mobile phone and charger
- Ethernet cable to connect to the UNE network and to the internet. You can buy one at the UNE IT shop if you need to.
- Doona/fav blanket
In the interests of fire safety it is important that all electrical equipment is safety tagged (by an electrician or at an electrics store) before you arrive!
Don’t panic if you forget your toothbrush. There are plenty of places to shop in Armidale and the bus takes less than ten minutes to get to town.
Remember to bring some cash to purchase things you’ve over looked or forgotten.