Today I worked on my xylophone.
First I gathered the glass bottles I have been collecting.
Then I washed them and peeled the labels off so there is more surface space to be struck and the sound will not be altered.
I worked out that the green bottles hold approximately 350ml of water so to start with I worked out how best to fill the bottles. I decided I would try 50ml increments. So using a funnel I filled the bottles
I then filled the brown bottles and the wine bottles in a similar manner before experimenting with the sounds made. I found that the different sized bottles created different pitches filled with the same amount of water.
I prefer the sounds the green bottles made as there was more of them and it was easier to create patterns and simple melodies with them. If I collected more of the other bottles I could have had three different pitch ranges but have decided to just stick with all the same size and shape. At first I only had six of the green bottles but did some rummaging and found two more.
The finished product. The bottles are filled in increments of 50ml. The lowest pitched bottle is the one on the left which is filled to the very top. The bottles get higher pitched the less water inside. There is a slight difference in tone colour with the lids on and off as well as through striking the glass with various objects
For composition purposes I will label the bottles 1-8 as at this stage the exact pitches are unknown.
Future planning: I could determine the exact pitches of the bottles which would aide composing for the glass bottle xylophone as it could be notated on a traditional stave. I could also add to the number of bottles which would increase the tones available for composition. Another thing I could do is keep collecting more glass bottles and follow the same method to create more pitches. I also could experiment with different ways of displaying my bottles such as creating a frame to hang them from or a holder to sit the bottles on.