Research Services is now inviting applications from UNE PhD students, entering their fourth year of candidature (full-time equivalent), who require financial assistance to complete their PhD thesis.
The PhD Completion Scholarship is one of a number of strategic DVCR initiatives which will be announced over the next months aimed at strengthening support for UNE’s researchers and Higher Degree by Research candidates.
UNE PhD Completion Scholarships are supported by central strategic research funding to encourage timely PhD completions. Completion scholarships are not a PhD candidature extension scholarship but are linked to and support a specific outcome, the submission of the PhD thesis. Completion scholarships will only be awarded to those PhD students who can clearly demonstrate that their thesis will be submitted within the scholarship period.
- A completion scholarship will normally be available to PhD students entering their fourth year of PhD candidature (full-time equivalent).
- A student must be in the writing-up stage and have completed their data collection or equivalent.
- A student must be able to complete their thesis within the nominated period. The maximum completion scholarship period is four months, but applications for shorter periods are encouraged.
- A student must be enrolled on a full-time basis during the scholarship and must work full-time on the thesis.
- In order to be considered for a completion scholarship, applicants must be strongly supported by their supervisor/s and their Head of School.
- Students who have already held a previous scholarship, other than a completion scholarship, will be eligible to apply.
- Students who have already received a scholarship extension will be ineligible to apply for a completion scholarship.
- Students are ineligible if they are currently receiving a scholarship.
Applications for completion scholarships can only be submitted at specific times, normally four rounds per year. The application dates for the next application rounds are as follows:
- 12-14 October 2011 (awards starting December/January/February)
- 11-13 January 2012 (awards starting March/April/May)
- 11-13 April 2012 (awards starting June/July/August)
- 11-13 July 2012 (awards starting September/October/November)
Applications submitted outside these specific dates will not be considered.
PhD candidates who wish to apply for a Completion Scholarship must contact Research Services to obtain an application pack – email firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Caroline Girvin on ext 3571.